What is the position dependent magnetic field for a Stern-Gerlach experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses a Stern-Gerlach experiment and the use of an apparatus to create a magnetic gradient. The specific details of the apparatus, including the radius of the convex and concave poles and the magnetic field it produces, are mentioned. The individual is seeking help in finding the position dependent magnetic field in order to solve for the separation of two beams. They initially attempted to use a two imaginary wire method but were told it was not allowed and must use first principles, such as Gauss's Law for Magnetism. The conversation then delves into a discussion on how to use Gauss's Law to solve the problem.
M Demov

Homework Statement

For a Stern-Gerlach experiment, there is a apparatus designed to create a magnetic gradient. There is a dipole magnet. The radius of the convex pole is 5 cm, the radius of the concave pole is 10 cm. The convex pole as a 2 T magnetic field along its surface. (The apparatus is depicted in the attached image)

I need to find the position dependent magnetic field to solve for the separation of the two beams. I know how to proceed once I have the position dependent magnetic field. But I need help with finding the position dependent magnetic field. I found it by placing two imaginary wires at the foci of the pole curves. However, my professor told us we are not allowed to do this and we have to solve for the magnetic field from first principles (maybe Gauss's Law for Magnetism?...) I don't know how to proceed from there and thus don't have any equations to share.

Homework Equations

None thus far, given that I cannot use a two imaginary wire method.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution was using a two imaginary wire method, until I was told I could not use this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 9.31.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 9.31.01 AM.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
Gauß' law is fine.
I don't understand where you want to add imaginary wires.

mfb said:
Gauß' law is fine.
I don't understand where you want to add imaginary wires.

But how do I use Gauss's Law?

There is an integral that gives the same value for different surfaces. Or 0 for a suitable closed volume.
The problem in the gap is similar to electrostatics.

What is the Stern-Gerlach magnetic field and how does it work?

The Stern-Gerlach magnetic field is a phenomenon in which a beam of particles with intrinsic magnetic moments is split into two or more separate beams when passing through a non-uniform magnetic field. This occurs because the particles' magnetic moments align with the field, causing them to experience different forces and deflections.

What are the practical applications of the Stern-Gerlach magnetic field?

The Stern-Gerlach magnetic field has been used in various experiments to study the properties of particles such as electrons, protons, and atoms. It has also been used in technologies such as particle accelerators, electron microscopes, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

What is the significance of the Stern-Gerlach experiment in quantum mechanics?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a crucial experiment in quantum mechanics that provided evidence for the existence of particle spin and the quantization of angular momentum. It also showed that particles have discrete energy states and can only take on certain orientations in a magnetic field, rather than any possible orientation as predicted by classical physics.

What factors affect the splitting of the particle beam in the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The splitting of the particle beam in the Stern-Gerlach experiment is affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, as well as the initial orientation of the particles' spin. The type of particles and their intrinsic magnetic moments also play a role in the splitting.

Is the Stern-Gerlach magnetic field a classical or quantum phenomenon?

The Stern-Gerlach magnetic field is a quantum phenomenon. It cannot be explained by classical physics and is only observed at the atomic and subatomic levels. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and has been key in developing our understanding of this field of physics.