Aharonov-Bohm Effect & Spin 1/2 Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using the Aharonov-Bohm effect to deflect spin 1/2 particles, specifically in the case of the B field being zero but A not being zero. It is mentioned that the AB effect only acts on charged particles and does not affect spin, but there is an analogous deflection for spin particles in electric fields, known as the Aharonov-Casher effect. It is also noted that not all particles with spin are charged, as demonstrated by the Stern-Gerlach experiment using neutral silver atoms.
cragar
Can I get a spin 1/2 particle to deflect with the aharonov bohm effect.
Where the B field is zero but A is not? Or will it just change the phase in the state-vector?
can I get the spin up particles to go one way and the spin down particles to go another way.

Physics news on Phys.org
The AB effect acts on charged particles but is independent of spin.
For particles with spin there is an analogous deflection in electric fields, the Aharonov-Casher effect.

it seems that if it affects charged particles that it would also affect spin, because spin is affected by a B field.
thanks for your post

But not all particles having spin are charged. Stern and Gerlach were using neutral silver atoms in their experiment.

ok I see your point.
Thats interesting that it only acts on charged particles.
So if I shot silver atoms by a solenoid I would not observe the AB-effect.

What is the Aharonov-Bohm Effect?

The Aharonov-Bohm Effect is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which a charged particle experiences a phase shift even in the absence of an electromagnetic field. This is due to the influence of a magnetic flux enclosed by a solenoid, which affects the phase of the particle's wavefunction.

What types of particles does the Aharonov-Bohm Effect apply to?

The Aharonov-Bohm Effect applies to all particles with spin, but it is most commonly studied in spin 1/2 particles such as electrons. These particles have an intrinsic angular momentum that makes them sensitive to the magnetic flux.

How does the Aharonov-Bohm Effect influence the behavior of spin 1/2 particles?

The Aharonov-Bohm Effect causes a phase shift in the wavefunction of spin 1/2 particles, which can result in interference patterns in their trajectories. This effect is not affected by the strength of the magnetic field, but rather by the enclosed magnetic flux.

What are the practical applications of the Aharonov-Bohm Effect?

The Aharonov-Bohm Effect has been observed in various experiments and has implications in fields such as quantum computing, quantum information processing, and topological insulators. It also plays a role in the Aharonov-Bohm interferometer, which is used to measure small magnetic fields.

Is the Aharonov-Bohm Effect a violation of classical physics?

No, the Aharonov-Bohm Effect is not a violation of classical physics. It is a manifestation of quantum mechanics and can be explained using the principles of quantum theory. It demonstrates the wave-particle duality of quantum particles and the importance of their phase in their behavior.