Rib Area: Explore the Sternal Part

• Medical
  • Thread starter Navin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary: The article you referenced says that the sternal rib are only the true ribs ie;first 7 ribs...which confuses me even more !So it sounds like they are referring to the anterior portion of each rib that consists of the Costal cartilage, which attaches to the sternum, no?That's correct! But then we have those beautiful floating ribs and false ribs...so is it safe to assume they have only a vertebral part ?
Navin
This isn't an asignment,more of a doubt which i could use help with.What exactly is the sturnal part of the rib.

I didnt quite get that.

Is it the part which contains coastal cartilage ?
I saw quite a few diagrams in on the net and even read whatever is given on the Book "MTG:Objective Biology" about it...but I am still not quite sure what is actually is...

Biology news on Phys.org
Can you post a link to where you saw the phrase "sternum rib area"?

https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S154741270600106X-gr6.jpg

1-s2.0-S154741270600106X-gr6.jpg

Attachments

• 1-s2.0-S154741270600106X-gr6.jpg
    1-s2.0-S154741270600106X-gr6.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,764
image.jpg
Hey berkeman
As per the MTG Objective Biology(4th bulletin)
And The class lectures our Professor gave us ,the rib is divided into a sternal and a vertebral section.A picture of the text is in the description .
By Sternal Rib Area I mean to say the part of the rib which is the sternal rib

I have checked these two links after reading that
https://www.britannica.com/science/rib-bone
And ofcource Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rib

***And they haven't mentioned a thing about it !***

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 584
So it sounds like they are referring to the anterior portion of each rib that consists of the Costal cartilage, which attaches to the sternum, no?

Likes Navin
berkeman said:
So it sounds like they are referring to the anterior portion of each rib that consists of the Costal cartilage, which attaches to the sternum, no?
Exactly ! But then we have those beautiful floating ribs and false ribs...so is it safe to assume they have only a vertebral part ?

1. What is the rib area?

The rib area refers to the section of the human body that is located on the front of the chest, between the neck and the abdomen. It includes the ribs, sternum, and the muscles and tissues that surround them.

2. Why is it important to explore the sternal part of the rib area?

The sternal part of the rib area is important because it is where the sternum, or breastbone, is located. The sternum protects vital organs such as the heart and lungs, and also serves as an attachment point for several muscles and bones. It is important to understand the sternal part in order to properly diagnose and treat any potential issues or injuries in this region.

3. How can one explore the sternal part of the rib area?

The sternal part of the rib area can be explored through physical examination, imaging techniques such as X-rays or CT scans, and in some cases, surgical procedures. A healthcare professional may also use palpation, or gentle pressure, to assess the sternal part for any abnormalities or discomfort.

4. What are some potential issues or injuries that can occur in the sternal part of the rib area?

The sternal part of the rib area can be affected by various conditions such as fractures, inflammation, infections, and tumors. It may also be involved in certain chest injuries and trauma. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience any pain, tenderness, or difficulty breathing in this area.

5. How can one maintain the health of the rib area, specifically the sternal part?

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is key to promoting overall health and wellness, including the sternal part of the rib area. This includes regular exercise, a balanced diet, and avoiding activities or behaviors that may put excessive strain on the chest and rib area. It is also important to seek prompt medical care for any injuries or issues in this region to prevent further complications.