Could my son have Steven Johnson syndrome?

• Thread starter gjonesy
  • Start date
In summary, the doctors suspect that this syndrome is the cause of my son's hospitalization. They are looking for information on this subject, beyond what is available on the web.
gjonesy
My son was hospitalized this evening and they suspect it may be this syndrome that's the culprit, I'd like some information on this subject, beyond what's plubished on the web.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Biology news on Phys.org
gjonesy said:
My son was hospitalized this evening and they suspect it may be this syndrome that's the culprit, I'd like some information on this subject, beyond what's plubished on the web.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
What have the doctors given you so far for information resources? Have they been able to figure out what triggered the syndrome in your son?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...hnson-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20029623

I hope his recovery goes well, and they can figure out what set it off for him.

Nothing really, but they referred to that diagnosis until more test are done. He has a history of sever atopic dermatitis. His last flare up they gave him an antibiotic and steroids. 2 weeks later he had finished the meds he had this reaction. He's red from head to toe, his skin is sluffing off, his joints are swollen. They are giving him fluids and treating it like a sever burn.
Now they are reluctant to labble it Steven Johnson syndrome, I think because of the legal implications.

Thanks for the info, but I want to know what's NOT published. Especially since they are treating him for Steven Johnson but looking for a differential diagnosis.

Addendum information... He was given a course of a sulfer drug, (septra bactrim type) and prednisone (steroid) for minor skin infection a little over 2 weeks ago. He has had MRSA in the past. First diagnosis was " staph scald" after first blood test "Steven Johnson" now it's "uhh we aren't sure may be the most sever atopic flare up in history" he's had bad flare ups before and he looks like he's got a really bad sun burn from head to toe, but his eyes are scabing over. Atopic has never involved his eyes.

gjonesy said:
Thanks for the info, but I want to know what's NOT published.
I'm not sure how we can help with this type of request. That's all we have access to. We can't have members speculating about what is going on, even if they have seen similar situations.

berkeman said:
I'm not sure how we can help with this type of request. That's all we have access to. We can't have members speculating about what is going on, even if they have seen similar situations.
True and I don't either,...I'm hoping there is an expert that reads this forum that could possibly PM me give advice, and or information on this.

1. What is Steven Johnson syndrome?

Steven Johnson syndrome is a serious disorder of the skin and mucous membranes that is usually caused by an allergic reaction to medication or infection. It is characterized by a rash that spreads quickly and blisters, often leading to the shedding of the top layer of skin.

2. What are the symptoms of Steven Johnson syndrome?

The symptoms of Steven Johnson syndrome may start with a flu-like illness, followed by a red or purple rash that spreads and forms blisters. The rash can also affect the mucous membranes of the mouth, eyes, and genitals. Other symptoms may include fever, fatigue, and joint pain.

3. How is Steven Johnson syndrome diagnosed?

Steven Johnson syndrome is typically diagnosed by a physical exam and a review of the patient's medical history. Doctors may also perform a skin biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. Blood tests may also be done to check for signs of infection or medication allergies.

4. What is the treatment for Steven Johnson syndrome?

The main treatment for Steven Johnson syndrome is to identify and stop the trigger, which is often a medication. In severe cases, hospitalization may be necessary to provide supportive care, such as intravenous fluids and pain medication. Patients may also be prescribed medications to reduce inflammation and prevent infection.

5. What is the long-term outlook for patients with Steven Johnson syndrome?

The long-term outlook for patients with Steven Johnson syndrome varies depending on the severity of the case and the promptness of treatment. In mild cases, the skin may heal within a few weeks and there may be no long-term effects. However, in severe cases, there may be scarring, changes in skin pigmentation, and vision or lung damage. It is important for patients to receive prompt and appropriate treatment to minimize potential long-term complications.