1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stewart Calculus 5.3 #28 7e

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the region shown in the figure is rotated about the -axis to
    form a solid, use the Midpoint Rule with to estimate the
    volume of the solid.

2. Relevant equations
    Volume formula for cylindrical shells:
    V=∫[a,b] 2∏xf(x)dx
    midpoint rule:
    Δx[f((x0+x1)/2) + f((x1+x2)/2) + ... + f((xn-1+xn)/2)]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started out by finding the area of the figure by using the midpoint rule to approximate the area between the curves.
    mpx1= 1
    mpx2= 3
    mpx3= 5
    mpx4= 7
    mpx5= 9

Δx= 2, since (b-a)/n is (10-0)/5=2
    so midpoint formula used to find the area between the curves using the graph:
    2[(f(1)-g(1)) + (f(3)-g(3)) + (f(5)-g(5)) + (f(7)-g(7)) + (f(9)-g(9))]=
    2[(4-2) + (5-1) + (4-1) + (4-2) + (4-2)]=
    2[2+4+3+2+2]= 26
    I then took this number and plugged it in for the f(x) in the volume formula:
    v=∫[0,10] 2∏x(26)dx =
    2∏∫[0,10] 26xdx = 2∏[13x^2][0,10]=
    2∏[13(10)^2] = 2600∏

this is the answer i came up with and i want to make sure it is correct. thank you!!

Attached Files:

• kujh.jpg
      kujh.jpg
      File size:
      12.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think your answer is too large by an order of magnitude. Where you went wrong was in integrating. What you should be doing is adding five numbers, where each number represents the approximate volume of one shell.

For example, when the first area element is revolved around the y-axis, the volume swept out is
    ##2\pi (1 \cdot 2 \cdot 2)##

Inside the parentheses, the 1 represents the radius and the first 2 represents the distance between the upper curve and lower curve. The second 2 represents Δx. From your drawing, this part of the region is about 4 sq. units.

You need to do this for each of the five regions. In my work I get ##244\pi##.

4. Apr 24, 2012 #3
    thank you.

5. Apr 24, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Sure, you're welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook