Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I "stick" in velocity field

1. Oct 11, 2016 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

A professor drew a velocity field on the board and he placed a line segment in the field at some time ##t_1## and then drew the stick at some new time ##t_2##. My question, let's say we're given a velocity field ##\vec{V} = v_x \hat{i} + v_y \hat{j}## where ##v_x## and ##v_y## are the magnitudes of velocity. Given a point in space ##(p,q)##, after a certain amount of time, how would we tell where the point would be?

Thinking about this, if all we had was ##\vec{V} = f(x,y) \hat{i} + g(x,y) \hat{j}## then to determine where ##p## would go, we would say ##\partial_t p = f(x,y) \implies \int_{p(0)}^{p(t)} \, dp = \int_0^t f(x,y) \, dt## but here I am stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem you are trying to solve is called the computation of flow curves of a vector field. It involves solving the differential equation:
    $$\frac{d}{dt}\vec r(t)=\vec V(\vec r(t))$$
    where ##\vec r(t)## is the vector position of the particle at time ##t##.

There is no standard method to solve this differential equation. Given a particular vector field ##\vec V##, an explicit solution may be able to be obtained if ##\vec V## is particularly nice. Otherwise numerical techniques would be needed.

Take the example ##\vec V(\vec r)=\vec r##. Then the above DE is:
    $$\frac{d}{dt}(x(t)\hat i+y(t)\hat j)=(x(t)\hat i+y(t)\hat j)$$
    which separates out into two equations:
    $$\frac{dx}{dt}(t)=x(t);\ \ \frac{dy}{dt}(t)=y(t)$$
    which has solutions ##x(t)=x_0e^t;\ y(t)=y_0e^t## (where ##x_0,y_0## are the coordinates of the point at ##t=0##), which can be expressed neatly as ##\vec r(t)=\vec r_0e^t##.

Most vector fields do not yield to analysis as readily as this one though.

4. Oct 12, 2016 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Cool, so it seems the first ODE you wrote is the one to follow for general cases? Good to know in case this ever arises. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted