Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sticky expanding liquid

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    Hi im new to physics and this website so forgive me if im n the wrong section and kind of slow.
    Would it be possible to make some kind of sticky expanding liquid for trapping things in. Im thinking of a combination of quicksand and glue. This would be something that would be in a pit or you would drop it from the sky and it would dispurs upon impact, expanding and getting everything stuck in it. Think of human form of sticky fly trap tape that can be used by an army.
    P..s. sorry if this violates theu dangerous chemicals rule

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2
    polyurethane foam

4. Jun 8, 2012 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Lancer! Aha, we meet again!
    There has actually been something of the sort in development for quite a while, but I don't think that it has been perfected yet. At least, I've never heard of it being deployed in the field.
    There were a few different approaches being investigated. One was a large net with or without an adhesive coating. The one that your post most reminds me of, though, is something along the lines of an aerogel mixed with some sticky stuff. If I recall correctly, it gets sprayed out as a liquid and then polymerizes upon contact with air.
    I regret that my memory fails me, so I can't help you.

5. Jun 8, 2012 #4
    Hello again danger! Im glad im in good hands. Its okay that u can't remember. I will research what u have listed alrdy. Tygerdawg I looked up the foam . It looks cool and close to what im thinking

6. Jun 10, 2012 #5
    Hey Lancer,

I've read a bit about auxetic materials being developed by the military in body armour to absorb the impact of bullets and such, which is a similar concept to what you describe.

Auxetic materials have a negative Poisson's ratio, i.e. the contract under compression rather than expand, absorbing more energy. Quite a good poster by Uni of Southamption here:
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/ncats/Downloads/nCATS%20Launch%20Posters/highstrainmaterialsforbodyarmouricrcksfwjwrw.pdf [Broken]

Could this be useful?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook