Discover a Game-Changing Sticky Expanding Liquid for Trapping Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a sticky expanding liquid for trapping objects, similar to quicksand and glue. This concept has been in development for some time, with different approaches such as large nets with adhesive coatings and aerogel mixed with sticky substances. The conversation also mentions auxetic materials, which have a negative Poisson's ratio and are being developed for body armor. It is suggested that this concept could be useful for the creation of a sticky liquid trap.
Lancer2death
Hi I am new to physics and this website so forgive me if I am n the wrong section and kind of slow.
Would it be possible to make some kind of sticky expanding liquid for trapping things in. I am thinking of a combination of quicksand and glue. This would be something that would be in a pit or you would drop it from the sky and it would dispurs upon impact, expanding and getting everything stuck in it. Think of human form of sticky fly trap tape that can be used by an army.
P..s. sorry if this violates theu dangerous chemicals rule

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
polyurethane foam

Lancer! Aha, we meet again!
There has actually been something of the sort in development for quite a while, but I don't think that it has been perfected yet. At least, I've never heard of it being deployed in the field.
There were a few different approaches being investigated. One was a large net with or without an adhesive coating. The one that your post most reminds me of, though, is something along the lines of an aerogel mixed with some sticky stuff. If I recall correctly, it gets sprayed out as a liquid and then polymerizes upon contact with air.
I regret that my memory fails me, so I can't help you.

Hello again danger! I am glad I am in good hands. Its okay that u can't remember. I will research what u have listed alrdy. Tygerdawg I looked up the foam . It looks cool and close to what I am thinking

Hey Lancer,

I've read a bit about auxetic materials being developed by the military in body armour to absorb the impact of bullets and such, which is a similar concept to what you describe.

Auxetic materials have a negative Poisson's ratio, i.e. the contract under compression rather than expand, absorbing more energy. Quite a good poster by Uni of Southamption here:
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/ncats/Downloads/nCATS%20Launch%20Posters/highstrainmaterialsforbodyarmouricrcksfwjwrw.pdf

Could this be useful?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a sticky expanding liquid?

A sticky expanding liquid is a substance that is able to stick to surfaces and also expand in volume when exposed to certain conditions such as heat or pressure.

2. How does a sticky expanding liquid work?

A sticky expanding liquid works by containing molecules that are able to form bonds with surfaces, creating a sticky effect. When exposed to heat or pressure, these molecules are activated and expand in volume, causing the liquid to expand as well.

3. What are some common uses of sticky expanding liquids?

Sticky expanding liquids are commonly used in construction and manufacturing industries for sealing and bonding materials together. They are also used in household products such as adhesives and sealants.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using sticky expanding liquids?

Like with any chemical substance, it is important to follow safety precautions when using sticky expanding liquids. This may include wearing protective gear and ensuring proper ventilation in work areas. It is also important to read and follow the instructions on the product label.

5. Are there any alternatives to using sticky expanding liquids?

There are alternative products to sticky expanding liquids such as traditional adhesives and sealants. However, these may not have the same expanding capabilities and may not be as effective in certain applications.