Sticky-shoe lab newtons Laws

• Thread starter anna sung
  • Start date

Homework Statement

1. what happened to the amount of friction between the surface and the shoe was the force of gravity was increased?

2. when a peice of paper was placed between the shoe and the surface(table), was more force, less force, or the same force needed to pull the shoe?

Homework Equations

we had a lab in physics class. it was called a sticky-shoe lab. these are the questions i need to answer but i am not sure if my answer is correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. the amount of friction would increase as the force of gravity increases, because greater force of gravity means more mass . (but i am not sure how to explain that friction will increase also)

2. less force was required to pull the shoe because when a piece of paper was placed beween the shoe and the surface, the coeifficient of firction was no longer dealing with rubber on a dry surface but a sheet of paper (wood?).
( here is it correct to say that the coeifficient of friction became wood on dry surface, and would this result less friction?)

please help me :)

Answers and Replies

well for the first part assuming that this is all on a horizontal plane then would fn equal fg ? so if friction relies on fn and fn increases then....

i dont see anything wrong with your second answer

sorry about late reply.
my internet's too slow.
anyways thanks for checking over my question. do you think i could write some more to that question. and i don't know if i am wrong but answers to those two question seems very similar. do you think there is any more stuff i could write down to elaborate more?

if you want to elaborate more about the 2nd part talk about the natures of the materials like roughness and compare them to objects like a zipper

the first part you could do a net force statment and FBD to demonstate

okay thank you so much!!! :)