Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I "stickyness" and friction?

1. Oct 26, 2016 #1
    is "stickyness" part of the static friction? is it already integrated in coefficient of static friction μ or there is some special case where you put "coefficient of stickyness" in formula μ*N when things get sticky? I imagine peace of tape on some flat, relatively smooth surface. you have to pull it with relatively high amount of force in order to set it in linear motion. I suppouse area of that peace of tape also has some significance by means larger the peace of tape is larger the static friction would be?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2016 #2
    I believe that you could just increase the coefficients of friction (static or otherwise) to compensate for the "stickyness". I have not yet run into coefficients of stickyness in my studies. Just coefficients of friction. Are you working on anything specific, or just curious.

4. Oct 27, 2016 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That simple model doesn't really apply to adhesive tape, which can stick even when N=0 or even N<0.

5. Oct 27, 2016 #4
    just curious :D I had the same idea about compensation for example that miu can be much grater than one.

could you explain me a bit about that N=0 and N<0 cases, I am just curious, and how N can be less than zero? thanks!

6. Oct 27, 2016 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Oct 27, 2016 #6
  8. Oct 27, 2016 #7

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you read the link I gave you?

"The normal force is defined as the net force compressing two parallel surfaces together;..."

What does negative compression mean?

9. Oct 27, 2016 #8
    sorry I have very poor physics knowlege

10. Oct 27, 2016 #9

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you understand what "compressing" or "pressing" means? What is the opposite of that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted