1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stiefel-Whitney Classes and

1. May 5, 2010 #1
    Stiefel-Whitney Classes and immersions

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I don't know whether this goes here or somewhere in the math section of these forums as I am brand new here.
    My algebraic topology professor is rather cryptic and the other two guys in the class are just as stuck as I am. I have gone to him and he told me to use what i have derived and a few properties of cohomology to get the desired result. So here it goes.
    Given two bundles V and W such that [tex] V \oplus W [/tex] is trivial. Let [tex] w_j(V)=w_j [/tex] and [tex]w_j(W)=w^j[/tex] we can show that if
    [tex] w(V)=1+ w_1 +w_2+w_3+ \dotsc [/tex]
    then
    [tex] w(W)= 1+(w_1+w_2+ \dotsc)+(w_1+w_2+ \dotsc)^2 +(w_1+w_2+ \dotsc)^3 + \dotsc [/tex]

We have shown that when [tex] X=\mathbb{R}\textsf{P}^n [/tex],
    [tex]w(TX)=(1+x)^{n+1} \in H^*(X)=\mathbb{Z}[x]/x^{n+1} [/tex]

So the part I am having trouble with is the following:
    If [tex] X=\mathbb{R}\textsf{P}^n [/tex] immerses in [tex]R^{n+c}[/tex] then [tex]\binom{-n-1}{j}[/tex] is even for c<j<=n.
    The hint given is Show [tex]w^j=\binom{-n-1}{j}x^j[/tex] where V=TX

2. Relevant equations
    Maybe:
    [tex] w^k=w_1w^{k-1}+w_2w^{k-2}+w_3w^{k-3} +\dotsc w_{k-1}w^1 + w_k [/tex]
    [tex] w_1=w^1 [/tex]
    [tex] w^2=(w_1)^2 + w_2 [/tex]
    [tex] w^3=(w_1)^3 +w_3 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried many ways but have not found any success. Just now while writing this i tried an induction:
    [tex] w^k=\binom{n+1}{1} \binom{-n-1}{k-1} x^k + \binom{n+1}{2} \binom{-n-1}{k-2} x^k + \dotsc + \binom{n+1}{k-1} \binom{-n-1}{1} x^k + \binom{n+1}{k} \binom{-n-1}{0} x^k [/tex]
    but got stuck when this did not work out to anything nice:
    [tex] \binom{n+1}{i} \binom{-n-1}{k-i} [/tex]

Anybody know how to do this? Are there binomial identities that I am missing or is this misunderstanding entirely in the structure of the cohomology ring? This is the last homework of my undergrad and I really want to be done.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?