1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stieltjes integral

1. May 3, 2006 #1
    Can you give me a simple real-life problem, where you need to use Stieltjes integral and can you show how you proceed in solving this kind of problems?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not certain what you consider "real life"! I suppose it wouldn't help for me to point out that in "real life" you have to take a calculus test.

The Stieljes integral differs from the ordinary Riemann integral in that, after we have divided the interval (a to b, say) into n intervals with endpoints xi, xi+1, instead of defining [itex]Delta xi to be simply xi+1- xi, that is, the length of the interval, we define it to be [itex]\alpha(x_{i+1})- \alpha(x_i)[/itex] where [itex]\alpha(x)[/itex] can be any increasing function. Taking the "Riemann sums" as usual then and taking the limit as the number of intervals goes to infinity results in the Stieltjes integral [itex]\int f(x)d\alpha[/itex] rather than the Riemann integral [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex].

Of course if [itex]\alpha(x)[/itex] happens to be differentiable then it is easy to see that
    [tex]\int f(x)d\alpha= \int f(x)\alpha'(x)dx[/tex]

One common application is this: let [itex]\alpha(x)[/itex] be the "step" function (f(x)= 0 for 0<= x< 1, f(x)= 1 for 1<= x< 2, etc.). Then the sum
    [tex]\Sum_{n=0}^\k f(n)[/tex]
    can be written as the Stieltjes integral
    [tex]\int_0^{n+1} f(x)d\alpha[/itex]
    allowing one to combine the theory of sums with integrals.

In particular
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?