Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Stiffness (constant) of string/wire relationship to Amplitude/Energy output

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So i'm doing a string/wire telephone experiment where i'm using a signal generator to vibrate a wire at a certain input frequency. I am then taking results down for the Amplitude output. I'm not quite sure on the relationship between Stiffness constant K and Amplitude.
    I've worked out the stiffness constant for 3 wires Nichrome, Copper and Constantan, and just want to show the relationship between the stiffness from Hooke's law and the amplitude.

2. Relevant equations
    F = KΔX
    Stored energy W = (1/2)KX2
    Amplitude ∞ Energy2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure if it's as simple as just finding the area under the Hooke's law graphs for each metal wire (up until it's no longer elastic/the non-liner part). As the stored energy in the stiffer wires would be greater, this energy is transferred into Kinetic energy for the wires which will vibrate faster and therefore give a greater amplitude.

Would really appreciate some help, my calculations are all over the place!

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted