1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stiffness (constant) of string/wire relationship to Amplitude/Energy output

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So i'm doing a string/wire telephone experiment where i'm using a signal generator to vibrate a wire at a certain input frequency. I am then taking results down for the Amplitude output. I'm not quite sure on the relationship between Stiffness constant K and Amplitude.
    I've worked out the stiffness constant for 3 wires Nichrome, Copper and Constantan, and just want to show the relationship between the stiffness from Hooke's law and the amplitude.

2. Relevant equations
    F = KΔX
    Stored energy W = (1/2)KX2
    Amplitude ∞ Energy2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure if it's as simple as just finding the area under the Hooke's law graphs for each metal wire (up until it's no longer elastic/the non-liner part). As the stored energy in the stiffer wires would be greater, this energy is transferred into Kinetic energy for the wires which will vibrate faster and therefore give a greater amplitude.

Would really appreciate some help, my calculations are all over the place!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted