What Is the Correct Electric Field Calculation for a Point Charge?

• Thread starter nautica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the electric field at a distance of 10 cm from an isolated point charge of 2 x 10^-9 C is 1800 N/C, calculated using the formula E = kq/r^2. The individual initially made a mistake in their calculation, but corrected it to get the correct answer.
nautica
The electric field at a distance of 10 cm from an isolated point charge of 2 x 10^-9 C is:

A)1.8 N/C
B)180 N/C
C)18 N/C
D) 1800 N/C
E)none of these

This is the formula I used Q=rv/k

so (2x10^-9 C)(9x10^9 Nm^2) / .1 m C^2

I am getting 180 N m/C - I have an extra m in the equation, which would make it none of the about. Evidently I am doing something wrong.

Thanks
Nautica

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] E = \frac{kq}{r^2} [/tex]

You want E, not V.

For a point charge:

E = kq/r^2

1800 N/C, thanks, nautica

What does "Still confused about this one" mean?

"Still confused about this one" is a phrase that indicates a person is still struggling to understand a particular concept or topic.

Why do people use the phrase "Still confused about this one"?

People use this phrase to express their confusion and seek clarification or further explanation on a topic.

How can I stop feeling confused about something?

The best way to stop feeling confused is to ask questions, do research, and seek guidance from someone knowledgeable on the topic. It's also helpful to break down the information into smaller, more manageable pieces.

Is it normal to be confused about something?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel confused about something. Understanding new information or concepts takes time and effort, and it's common to have questions and uncertainties along the way.

What should I do if I'm still confused after seeking clarification?

If you are still confused after seeking clarification, it's important to continue asking questions and seeking additional resources. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts to fully understand a complex topic. Don't be afraid to reach out for help and keep trying until you feel confident in your understanding.