Still don't get Impulse

• Thread starter harvellt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, the problem involves a ball moving towards a batter at 32m/s and weighing 0.15kg. After the batter hits it, the ball travels 105.0m at an initial angle of 52 degrees. The task is to find the magnitude and direction of the impulse the ball receives during the collision with the bat. Using the projectile equation, the velocity of the ball after the collision was found to be 32m/s, which is nearly equal to the initial velocity of 32m/s. However, a sign mistake was corrected to get the correct solution.
harvellt

Homework Statement

A ball is moving toward a batter at 32m/s and weighs 0.15kg. After the batter hits it goes 105.0m at an initial angle of 52 degrees. What is the magnitude of the impulse the ball receives in the collision with the bat, and what is the direction of the impulse?

[b2. Homework Equations [/b]
I=MV+MV'

Xmax=(2V2 sin [tex]\phi[/tex] cos [tex]\phi[/tex])/g

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble finding the initial velocity of the ball after the collision. I tried using the second equation and found the velocity to be 32m/s. Is it wrong to use that formula to find the original velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
harvellt said:

Homework Statement

After the batter hits it goes 105.0m at an initial angle of 52 degrees.

What it means ? velocity of displacement?

The ball leaves the bat at a angle of 52 degrees and travels a distance of 105 meters befor it lands, neglecting the height of the collision.

OK, now can you find the velocity of projection. you have the angle of projection and the range.

Use projectile equation. In that angle of projection is 52 degree and range is 105 m. And find velocity of the ball with which it leaves the bat.

Yes. Velocity of the ball hitting the bat and leaving the bat is nearly equal. (32 m/s and 32.6 m/s). Now what is angle with which the ball hits the bat?

Last edited:
yes using equation of X maximum you can find the

Thank you all so much I got it my major problem after I found the V0 was a sign mistake. I forgot the fact that the x velocity needed to have opposite signs, and now I have it.

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the force needed to change the momentum of an object. It is a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is impulse related to momentum?

Impulse is directly proportional to the change in momentum of an object. The larger the impulse, the greater the change in momentum.

3. How is impulse calculated?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time interval over which the force is applied. It can be represented by the equation: impulse = force x time.

4. What are some real-life examples of impulse?

Some examples of impulse in everyday life include hitting a baseball with a bat, kicking a soccer ball, or jumping off a diving board. Impulse is also important in car accidents, where the force of a collision causes a change in momentum.

5. Why is understanding impulse important in science?

Understanding impulse is important in many areas of science, including physics, biology, and engineering. It helps us understand how forces affect the motion of objects, and can be used to analyze and predict the outcome of various situations, such as collisions or impacts. Impulse is also a key concept in studying and designing efficient and safe systems, such as car safety features or sports equipment.