1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Still Friction

1. Mar 21, 2007 #1
    So I posted this earlier and it got to a point where differentiation is neccessary. I am a little familiar with differentiation, but not to the point where I know how to apply the concepts I have recently learned in Calculus. i would greatly appreciate somebody walking me through the process...it should be fairly simple in this particular problem. Again, this problem is for my own personal practice, not for a class, and I am very interested in finding out how to apply these concepts.

Original Post:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1000kg Boat is traveling 90km/h when its engine is cut. The magnitude of the frictional force fk is proportional to the boat's speed v: fk=70v, where v is in m/s and fk is in newtons. Find the time required for the boat to slow to 45 km/h.

2. Relevant equations
    Newton's Second

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a FBD and it seems that since the engine was cut, there is only fk in the x direction. Thus, fk=ma--->1750=-1000a-->a=-1.75
    Then I used V=Vo+at---> t=(V-Vo)/a
    But this is not correct....9.9seconds is the correct solution.
    Any advice is appreciated.

...It was pointed out that "a" is not constant. But I am not sure where to go from here as I have only dealt with problems dealing with constant acceleration.....what am I differentiating? I am not sure of the equation...or how to derive one. hollah.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2007 #2
    Yeah. The retardation is not constant since the magnitude of the frictional force depends on the speed of the boat.

So, at a particular instant of time, assume the speed to be v. At that moment, the force acting on it is kv in the -x direction (k=70). Which means that the instantaneous acceleration is v(k/m).

This means, [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{kv}{m}[/tex]
    Integrating this equation, you get the expression, [tex]ln(v)=\frac{kt}{m}+c[/tex] where c is the constant of integration.

Now, at t=0, the engine was cut and the boat had a speed of 90km/h.
    Putting that into the equation, you get c=ln(90).
    So, your final expression is:
    [tex]ln(v)=\frac{kt}{m}+ln(90)[/tex], where ln is natural logarithm.

Using this, put v=45 and solve for t to get the time required.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?