Can You Get Into Grad School with an Online Math Degree from UIllinois?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of getting into grad school with an online math degree and whether the University of Illinois's online program is accredited. It is suggested to email the grad school for a definitive answer and it is also mentioned that the University of Illinois's offline program is accredited. The conversation concludes with a discussion about e-learning and the potential need to be a student of UIllinois to participate in their online program.
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone have any feedback?

thanks

If it's accredited, maybe. Of course, you'll also need to get three good letters of recommendation from three actual professors.

Why not email the grad school you wish to apply to, and ask them if they accept your qualification. They'll be able to give an actual answer to your question, rather than people on here guessing!

Is there a "university of illinois offline"?

cristo said:
If that's the same as the online one, then I see no problem -- it's obviously a professional online degree.

Though I hate this e-learning thing but that's for another thread...

:rofl: I didn't realize that you were looking to do UIS's online program. I should hope that the University of Illinois is accredited, given that I'm about to graduate with a degree in EE from UIUC.

J77 said:
If that's the same as the online one, then I see no problem -- it's obviously a professional online degree.
Yea, I can't imagine it wouldn't be the same, given that the domain is the same!

Though I hate this e-learning thing but that's for another thread...
Agreed.. but I'll keep my mouth shut too!

so you don't have to be a student of UIllinois to do their online program>

1. Can I still get into grad school if my undergraduate GPA is low?

Yes, it is possible to still get into grad school with a low GPA. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as letters of recommendation, personal statements, and relevant experience when making their decision.

2. Is it necessary to have research experience to get into grad school?

Having research experience can certainly strengthen your application, but it is not always necessary. Some programs may place a greater emphasis on research experience, while others may prioritize other aspects such as coursework or extracurricular activities.

3. Does the reputation of my undergraduate institution affect my chances of getting into grad school?

The reputation of your undergraduate institution may be taken into consideration by some grad schools, but it is not the only determining factor. Admissions committees also consider the quality of your coursework, letters of recommendation, and other relevant experiences.

4. Can a strong GRE score make up for a weak GPA?

A strong GRE score can certainly help strengthen your application, but it may not necessarily make up for a weak GPA. Admissions committees take a holistic approach when evaluating applicants, so it is important to have a well-rounded application.

5. Is it too late to apply for grad school if I graduated a few years ago?

No, it is not too late to apply for grad school if you graduated a few years ago. Many programs welcome applicants with work experience and may even view it as a valuable asset. Just be sure to highlight how your experiences have prepared you for graduate studies.