How Do I Correct My Physics Calculations?

• Thread starter squib
  • Start date
In summary, when a sound wave at a frequency of 2.25 MHZ(10^6) travels through a pregnant woman's abdomen and is reflected by the fetal heart wall, the speed of the fetal heart wall at the instant of measurement can be calculated by multiplying the speed of sound in body tissue (1510 m/s) by the ratio of the frequency and the sum of the frequency and the detected beats per second, and then subtracting the speed of sound.
squib
Went back and tried these again, still no luck.

A sound wave travels at a frequency 2.25 MHZ(10^6) through a pregnant woman's abdomen and is reflected from the fetal heart wall of her unborn baby. The heart wall is moving toward the sound receiver as the heart beats. The reflected sound is then mixed with the transmitted sound, and 87.0 beats per second are detected. The speed of sound in body tissue is 1510 m/s. Calculate the speed of the fetal heart wall at the instant this measurement is made.

I come up with:
[1510(((2.25*10^6)+87)/(2.25*10^6))]-1510 m/s
Does anyone see an error in this?

Next,
A certain pipe produces a fundamental frequency of f in air.
If the pipe is filled with helium at the same temperature, what fundamental frequency does it produce? (Take the molar mass of air to be M_air, and the molar mass of helium to be M_He.)

I get:
(f*sqrt(M_air))/sqrt(M_He)))
This is off by a multiplicative factor...
Does anyone see my error?

Physics news on Phys.org
squib said:
I come up with:

It seems right to me, but I am always forgetting factors of [itex] 2 \pi[/itex] when dealing with frequencies.

squib said:
I get:
(f*sqrt(M_air))/sqrt(M_He)))
This is off by a multiplicative factor...
Does anyone see my error?

Gosh, it sure looks right to me. The frequency depends on the speed of sound in the gas, which is proportional to 1/sqrt(mass). Do you suppose that they are looking for an equivalent form like (f*sqrt(M_air/M_He)).

Carl

squib said:
Went back and tried these again, still no luck.

A sound wave travels at a frequency 2.25 MHZ(10^6) through a pregnant woman's abdomen and is reflected from the fetal heart wall of her unborn baby. The heart wall is moving toward the sound receiver as the heart beats. The reflected sound is then mixed with the transmitted sound, and 87.0 beats per second are detected. The speed of sound in body tissue is 1510 m/s. Calculate the speed of the fetal heart wall at the instant this measurement is made.

I come up with:

Mastering Physics? i understand
Multiply your final equation by 2

1. What are the most common problems that people encounter?

The most common problems that people encounter can vary greatly depending on the individual and their specific situation. Some common issues may include financial difficulties, relationship problems, health concerns, and career challenges.

2. How can I solve my problems?

Solving problems often involves identifying the root cause, developing a plan of action, and taking steps to address the issue. Seeking support from others, such as friends, family, or a therapist, can also be helpful in finding solutions.

3. Why do some problems seem to persist for a long time?

Some problems may persist for a long time due to various factors, such as underlying mental health issues, lack of effective problem-solving skills, or ongoing stress and challenges in life. It is important to address these underlying issues in order to effectively solve the problem.

4. Can certain problems be prevented?

While some problems may be out of our control, there are steps we can take to prevent certain issues from arising. This can include setting boundaries, practicing self-care, and addressing any underlying issues that may contribute to recurring problems.

5. When should I seek professional help for my problems?

If you are struggling to find solutions to your problems or if they are significantly impacting your daily life, it may be beneficial to seek professional help. A therapist or counselor can provide support and guidance in addressing and overcoming these challenges.