How does stimulated emission occur in lasers?

In summary, stimulated emission is a process where a photon causes an atom to release another photon.
wellorderingp
I was reading about LASER production when I came by the concept of stimulated emission.

The book I was reading doesn't elaborate the topic much,so far I have understood what stimulated emission is but not how it happens.

When a photon strikes an excited atom the atom falls to it's ground state releasing another coherent photon.
To me, what should happen is that atom should gain energy and jump to a higher state(this is what normally happens).
Please elaborate this concept. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The photon and the atom are involved in an electromagnetic interaction - a number of things can happen.
One of those things is that an atom may absorb the photon and end up in a more energetic state... or ionized.
It may be that nothing happens.

What actually happens is random, but the probability of each possible thing depends on the details.
i.e. to favor absorption, the incoming photon needs to have an energy corresponding to the next energy gap for the atom.
You'll no doubt be taught more about this when you get to the concept of "cross-sections".

In laser, one can identify two groups of photons: pump photons and emitted/laser photons. In normal condition most atoms lie in their ground state, in order to bring them to some excited state, they must be pumped up (i.e. excited) by illuminating them with pump light. Then, around the onset of lasing action, those excited atoms are going to decay owing to its finite lifetime and emit fluorescence light (spontaneous emission). These very first bunch of fluorescence photons trigger the other yet to decay atoms to undergo stimulated emission, releasing another coherent photon. These coherent photons are the emitted/laser photons.

Another aspect of laser operation is that the atoms need to have more than 2 states (ground, excited) available: a 2-state collection of atoms can never reach the lasing threshold (population inversion). Instead, an atom absorbs energy and goes to an upper excited state with a short half-life, then relaxes to a long-lived excited state- this allows sufficient population of excited atoms to accumulate.

blue_leaf77 said:
In laser, one can identify two groups of photons: pump photons and emitted/laser photons. In normal condition most atoms lie in their ground state, in order to bring them to some excited state, they must be pumped up (i.e. excited) by illuminating them with pump light. Then, around the onset of lasing action, those excited atoms are going to decay owing to its finite lifetime and emit fluorescence light (spontaneous emission). These very first bunch of fluorescence photons trigger the other yet to decay atoms to undergo stimulated emission, releasing another coherent photon. These coherent photons are the emitted/laser photons.

That explains "what" stimulated emission is. I am not able to understand "why" it happens that way.
As you stated ' the photons trigger the other yet to decay atoms to release coherent photons'.
The book I am reading gives a vague idea about what happens.
It states that-
In stimulated emission each incident photon encounters a previously excited atom and the optical field of the photon interacts with the electron. The result of interaction is a kind of resonance effect,which induces each atom to emit a second photon.
Please elaborate more on this. Thank you

Ah sorry, I thought what you are confused about was how can there be electrons in an excited state out of nowhere.
Then the answer to your question was explained by Simon Bridge. So electrons sitting in a certain level can undergo 3 distinct processes: spontaneous emission, stimulated emission, and absorption. Each of them has different chance to be happening, and this probability is related to cross sections, as Simon has said.

Thank you very much.
But I also read that stimulated emission could be explained classically,using the dipoles and em theory.

wellorderingp said:
But I also read that stimulated emission could be explained classically,using the dipoles and em theory.
Where did you read this?
Stimulated emission is properly understood in terms of quantum mechanics... there are always other ways to do the math though.

wellorderingp said:
When a photon strikes an excited atom the atom falls to it's ground state releasing another coherent photon. To me, what should happen is that atom should gain energy and jump to a higher state (this is what normally happens).

The energy of higher states are not exact multiples of the of the energy of the first excited state. Each step up is slightly less than the previous one. Therefore a second photon at the same frequency will not drive an excited molecule into a higher state. It produces a stimulated emission.

1. What is stimulated emission in lasers?

Stimulated emission is a process in which an excited atom or molecule releases a photon of light when it interacts with another photon. This results in the amplification of light waves, which is the basis for laser operation.

2. How does stimulated emission contribute to laser amplification?

Stimulated emission contributes to laser amplification by providing additional photons that are in phase with the original photons. This creates a cascade effect, resulting in a large number of photons with the same frequency, direction, and phase, which is necessary for a laser beam.

3. What is the difference between spontaneous and stimulated emission in lasers?

Spontaneous emission occurs when an excited atom or molecule releases a photon of light without any external influence. This process is random and does not contribute to laser amplification. On the other hand, stimulated emission requires an external photon to trigger the release of a photon, resulting in amplification.

4. How does the stimulated emission process relate to the population inversion principle in lasers?

The population inversion principle states that for laser amplification to occur, there must be more atoms or molecules in an excited state than in the ground state. Stimulated emission helps to maintain this population inversion by releasing photons from the excited state, allowing more atoms or molecules to return to the ground state and be re-excited.

5. What are some practical applications of stimulated emission in lasers?

Stimulated emission in lasers has many practical applications, including in telecommunications, medical technology, and manufacturing. Lasers are used for high-speed data transmission, surgical procedures, and cutting and welding materials in manufacturing. They are also used in research and scientific experiments to study light-matter interactions and quantum mechanics.