1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stimulated/Induced Emission

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    How can an incident photon cause an atom to de excite??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

Jano L.

Gold Member

I do not know how photon can, but here is how EM wave can:

Imagine charged particle oscillating here and there according to the function

$$
    x(t) = x_0 \cos \omega t
    $$.

If the EM wave is such that the electric field oscillates in the same direction according to

$$
    E(t) = E_0 \cos (\omega t - \varphi),
    $$
    I do not know how photon can, but here is how EM wave can:

Imagine charged particle of charge ##q## oscillating here and there according to the function

$$
    x(t) = x_0 \cos \omega t.
    $$

If the EM wave is such that the electric field oscillates in the same direction according to

$$
    E(t) = E_0 \cos (\omega t - \varphi),
    $$

i.e. there is some phase shift ##\varphi##, the net power of the electric force is given by
    $$
    P(t) = E(t) \dot x(t)
    $$

and can be positive or negative according to value of ##\varphi##. If the power is negative, it means that the oscillating particles returns energy into the field and thus will decrease its oscillations - hence "stimulated emission".

i.e. there is some phase shift ##\varphi##, the net power of the electric force is given by
    $$
    P(t) = qE(t) \dot x(t)
    $$

and can be positive or negative according to value of ##\varphi##. If the power is negative, it means that the oscillating particles returns energy into the field and thus will decrease its oscillations - hence "stimulated emission".

Of course atom is more complicated, but the idea is the same - whether there is absorption or release of EM energy depends on the mutual phase of the system and the EM wave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook