Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Stimulating neurons via magnetic fields

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I ran across this article in "Newsweek-Next Frontiers" about stimulating neurons directly by firing large magnetic pulses to specific locations in the brain:
    Address: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9557716/site/newsweek/

Well, I can imagine a much more "accurate" device which can affect individual neurons or "local" populations of neurons. Surely if one could "modulate" the pulses in such a way to simulate the physiological process involved with real neural growth, then indeed I think we would be achieving what the article declared "Re-wiring the brain". Big 'if' though. We really don't even know how physiological processes give rise to mental ones, not exactly anyway. But still, I somewhat suspect this is the beginnings of something . . . wonderful. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2005 #2
    Sounds dangerous.

4. Oct 6, 2005 #3
    It could well be. At high frequencies it causes seizures, which means at lower frequencies it probably works by disorganizing neuronal firing as well.

HMI World | Around Harvard
    Address:http://hmiworld.org/hmi/current/around_brain.html

It seems in all cases to be temporary if it works at all.

5. Oct 6, 2005 #4

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for the ref Zoobyshoe. This is a quote:

Yea, I know we're still in the middle-ages with this. You know what the first transistor looked like? We made improvements didnt' we. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?