Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stimulation by photon

1. May 7, 2015 #1
    Can a photon with higher energy than ionization energy stimulate atom?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2015 #2
    Yes, the extra energy will be turned into the kinetic energy of the electron. This is the photoelectric effect, and is the basis of photoelectron spectroscopy.

4. May 7, 2015 #3
    Thanks for reply, but i know stimulation is moving an electron to higher energy levels not ionisation. Do You mean ionisation is a stimulation also.

5. May 8, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean by stimulate the atom?
    From what you said, seems like what you wanted to say is excitation, is it?

6. May 8, 2015 #5
    I think yes. Excitation and ionisation. Let me try my question to clarify in an example. A photon with 10 ev energy sent to an atom. Lets say energy levels are for simplicity 3,5,6 and its ionasation energy is 9 ev. What could or must happen to atom.
    1. Excitation one electron jumps to higher level:is this possible
    2. İonisation that is electron get rid of the atom. I think that is ok.

7. May 8, 2015 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you give us three energy levels and one ionization energy? I think you misunderstood one thing here, energy levels of an electron in its parent atom represent the binding energy in the corresponding particular orbital/state. To ionize an electron sitting at a particular state, an amount of energy which is at least as big as the binding energy must be given to that electron, the idea is simple: to overcome the binding energy. In other words, different levels have different ionization energies, for the latter must be equal to the former. Relating to your question, with 10 eV photon, any of those three energy levels won't be able to hold its electron from leaving the atom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook