AXE Anti-Hangover: What is Stimulating Mg-O2?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the product, AXE anti-hangover showergel, contains Mg-O2 which is supposed to help you feel better after a night of drinking. The product is meant for men, and may contain ingredients that can help with hangovers.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A while ago AXE came out with a new anti-hangover showergel.

I don't understand these advertisement people.. it says on the bottle: AXE anti-hangover with Mg-O2 will get you going, no matter how short the night was.

http://www.aptitudes.be/files/axe_anti-hangover.jpg

Stimulating Mg-O2, what is that supposed to mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
It's a scam just like saying "all natural"

Did you know Axe make perfume and deodorant bodyspray for man? There add are target for man and they are hillarious. It is probably a marketing scam.

Edit:
Here an example. Not the best one but..

http://www.axe.be/videos/newspotaxe2.mpg
http://www.axe.be/

Last edited by a moderator:
I just LOVE those commercials from AXE, they are hillarious and innovative :P

I just wonder if the molecule Mg-O2 überhaupt exists.

Mg02 is magnesium dioxide, and certainly exists.

Regarding hangovers:

The primary contributers to hangovers are sleep deprevation, and dehydration, so if you sleep in, and drink lots of water before you go to bed, you'll be much better off. Salty and acidic foods may also help to replenish your electrolytes. Finally, vitamin B is apparently reccomended.

For the slightly insane, this might mean having a breakfast of vegimite on pickles :)

Chicken soup or something similar would probably do mre for you than the powder.

A secondary issue might be waking up drunk. (Which has happened to people I know.)

The shower gel might contain something that is vasoconstrictive - hot showers can be unpleasant during hangovers due to vascular dialations.

Last edited:
I get it, O has an oxidation state of -1.

Although that may be true; how does that help a soap become an anti-hangover cure?
You're not actually supposed to EAT the gel are you?

ShawnD said:
Although that may be true; how does that help a soap become an anti-hangover cure?
You're not actually supposed to EAT the gel are you?
No, but some substances, like caffine, can be ingested transdermally. And it could be placebo, but this stuff did seem to have an effect. It smells really good too.

also, what they're probably aiming for with the magnesium oxide is the magnesium part...magnesium is a funny thing in brain chemistry: it is required for proper brain function, so too little leads to a kind of off mental performance, but too much can lead to hyperactivity, and temporarily decrease the ability to learn while it is in the bloodstream/brain.

NateTG said:
Mg02 is magnesium dioxide, and certainly exists.

Are you sure about that? MgO definitely exists, but for Mg02 the oxidation states don't work out right. You'd have Mg4+. Or else, is there some magnsium-oxirane complex I'm not aware of? I suppose it would work out if you had a three-membered ring.

1. What is AXE Anti-Hangover?

AXE Anti-Hangover is a dietary supplement that claims to prevent hangovers by providing stimulating Mg-O2 energy to the body.

2. How does Stimulating Mg-O2 work?

Stimulating Mg-O2 is a combination of magnesium and oxygen that helps to replenish essential nutrients and oxygen in the body, which can be depleted during alcohol consumption. This helps to alleviate hangover symptoms and promote a faster recovery.

3. Is AXE Anti-Hangover safe to consume?

AXE Anti-Hangover is generally considered safe to consume, but as with any supplement, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before use, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking any medications.

4. How should I take AXE Anti-Hangover?

It is recommended to take one capsule of AXE Anti-Hangover before consuming alcohol, and one capsule after drinking. It is important to also drink plenty of water throughout the night to stay hydrated.

5. Is AXE Anti-Hangover effective?

The effectiveness of AXE Anti-Hangover may vary for each individual. Some users may experience a reduction in hangover symptoms, while others may not notice a significant difference. It is important to also practice responsible drinking habits to prevent hangovers.