Exploring the Delicious World of Stinky French Cheeses

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, a cheese enthusiast discovered a nice selection of cheeses at a local grocery store and tried two new types - Stilton blue cheese and Morbier from France. Despite its strong and pungent smell, the Morbier cheese turned out to be surprisingly delicious. The conversation then turns to recommendations for other good French cheeses, with a warning to let Camembert cheese ooze on its own before eating it. Some participants discuss the health aspect of indulging in stinky French cheeses, while others argue that variety is important in a healthy diet. Ultimately, one member suggests sticking to fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, grains, and distilled water for optimal health.
The package clearly reads "Blue Stilton." Take it up with the cheesemakers if you don't like the spelling. Why would I use the French spelling if I'm writing in English?

Physics news on Phys.org
am i the only one who hates cheeses? the only one i like is mozzarella on pizza. or the fake kind on doritos hehe. other than that to me cheeses taste as bad as they smell

Ooooh, Pengwuino gave me an idea from another thread. Cheese flavored cereal. How about some Stilton puffs?

Mmmm, start your morning off with a big bowl of stinky cheese.

Kakarot said:
am i the only one who hates cheeses? the only one i like is mozzarella on pizza. or the fake kind on doritos hehe. other than that to me cheeses taste as bad as they smell
Nope, jimmie seems to hate them too. An old friend of mine is like you...that's pretty much the only cheese she eats too, the stuff on pizza or the fake cheese flavor on Doritos. But you probably don't want to be compared to her, because I think her mom killed her tastebuds when she was a small child and ate mostly Chef Boyardee crap out of a can. :yuck:

I eat american cheese on my sandwiches. maybe provolone once in awhile. cheddar is okay...and pizza is :tongue2:

Evo said:
Ooooh, Pengwuino gave me an idea from another thread. Cheese flavored cereal. How about some Stilton puffs?
I might be able to handle cheddar in the morning, but Stilton might be a bit strong when my stomach hasn't quite woken up yet.

too late
http://bushover.com/cereal%20&%20cheese3.jpg

yomamma said:
too late
http://bushover.com/cereal%20&%20cheese3.jpg
What sort of cereal is that under the cheese? It looks like Cocoa Puffs! Why would you serve a toddler Cocoa Puffs? :yuck:

for a funny pic on the web.

anyway. we should spell it "bleu". we spell fiancée and souflée the same...

and papier mâché

Nope, I spell it fiance and souffle. :biggrin:

what about café or papier mâché

Give it up Yomamma, yanks have their own version of english.

My top 3 cheese list
Cambozola {Germany blue cheese}
Goosnargh Gold {Ireland dense texture and a rich, mature flavor}
Fanny Mason Baby Swiss{American Tender and mild with a nutty flavor}

hypatia said:
Goosnargh
Bless you. :tongue:

Okay, I'll keep an eye out if any of those appear. When I used to hear people talking about stinky cheese, just these horrid ideas came to mind, and I thought I'd never like anything like that (sort of like the descriptions of oozing camembert above!), so I was quite surprised to realize this was a stinky cheese and tasted so good.

I find that brie is the best cheese

Bladibla said:
I find that brie is the best cheese
I like brie, but to me, that's a mild cheese (unless they just don't send us the "good stuff" here in the US). It certainly goes well with everything, and the double cream brie has a wonderfully buttery taste to me.

I once made a dish from the wonderful baby swiss, only to have my company ask what smelled so bad? I said bad? they said yes, like dirty laundry...I said it was there dinner:uhh: Talk about a odd strech of silence.

But they did try it, and even went back for seconds. Although I was never sure if they really liked it, or were just makeing up for the dirty laundry statement.

hypatia said:
I once made a dish from the wonderful baby swiss, only to have my company ask what smelled so bad? I said bad? they said yes, like dirty laundry...I said it was there dinner:uhh:
:rofl: Good comeback hypatia!

Now Moonbear has me craving odd cheeses. :grumpy:

Evo said:
Now Moonbear has me craving odd cheeses. :grumpy:
:redface: Sorry.

I can appreciate the "dirty laundry" comment about Swiss cheese. I'm not a fan of Swiss cheese. Though, I actually never noticed anything funny about the smell...to me it smells totally innocuous. It's when I bite into it that I realize someone used Swiss on a dish. It always has a sour taste to me that I just don't like. I prefer to swap provolone for the Swiss cheese in dishes that usually have Swiss.

I like mozzarella and feta cheese. I'm guessing swiss cheese would be good.

And of course, I will taste all smelly feet from now on...

cefarix said:
And of course, I will taste all smelly feet from now on...
:yuck: Ugh, I could have done without reading that. :uhh: