Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stinky new jeans

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's tough for me to find pants in stores that are my size, so I often buy them online.

The last two pairs I bought from different places, several months apart. But both smelled heavily of moth balls (naphthalene). I don't mean just a little - they reeked. You'd never find clothes like these in a brick-and-mortar store, people wouldn't come into the store.

They were jeans, btw, Levi's.

So is this common from clothes bought online?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2010 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I have never bought, nor thought of buying, clothes on-line. While I have occasionally awakened in stinky jeans, I can't recall that I ever bought any in that condition.

4. Aug 2, 2010 #3
    I've bought my girlfriend clothes online before when some stores were out of stock, but I can't say I have ever encountered that problem. That's odd...

5. Aug 2, 2010 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd immediately return them.

6. Aug 2, 2010 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well I considered that, but the smell goes away after a few washings. Then they're fine. Just wondering if this was the new normal.

7. Aug 2, 2010 #6
    Some denims have finishes on them -- to keep the blue dark. That's usually poorer quality denim that would leach indigo dye (onto your fingers if you're handling the fabric) otherwise. Are your jeans dark? and did you get any dye leached into the water after a few washes? ... But this is usually only the case with cheap denim.

Also -- some finishes are used to "age" denim in various ways. That could be a cause.

If either of these is an issue, You'd expect the same type of jeans to have the same smell in the store (even if you can't find your size). Have you done any snoop shopping about this?

Also found http://www.creation-international.com/Textile%20Auxiliaries%20August%202007.%20PDF.pdf" [Broken] from some textile company perhaps?:
    "Salt of Naphthalene sulphonic acid in powder form, used as a dispersing agent for disperse and vat dyes"

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Aug 2, 2010 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought it might have something to do with dyeing. They're standard Levi denim - not the stiff, heavy, dark stuff, but the softer texture.

I suppose next time I'm in a department store, I'll see if I can find some that have the same smell. It will be embarrassing if security asks me to leave, after following me around watching me sniff blue jeans :blushing:.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Aug 2, 2010 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Were the jeans made in China? I have bought several items that were made in China recently, including a grill and an air conditioner, and the packing reeked of naphtha. Could be that the packaging picked up the smell from naphtha while in the shipping containers en route to the US...

10. Aug 2, 2010 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The only things I buy over the net are books.
    Usually, they don't stink.

11. Aug 2, 2010 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll check the first pair when I get a chance...the recent pair was made in Egypt.

Maybe they use naphtha in packaging as a pesticide?

12. Aug 2, 2010 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, it was spilled mummification fluid.
    Very fond of jeans, the ancient Egyptians..

13. Aug 2, 2010 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wish I didn't have to get them this way. They do have my size in the kids' section...sigh...but they aren't clothes most 40-something women would wear. Why would I want a sequined picture of Lady Gaga on my rear?

14. Aug 2, 2010 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I guess that's not your style.

It crossed my mind as well that it could be pesticide that they might use during the international shipping. Why don't you contact the customer center and ask for an explanation?

15. Aug 2, 2010 #14
    Never buy clothing online, how will you know if it fits? Speaking of which, I have a bunch of docker pants that need to go to the tailor.

16. Aug 2, 2010 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well true, it's a crap shoot. But I know the brand and as long as their sizes are consistent, it should fit.

Besides, if I don't buy online I'm stuck with kids' clothes.

17. Aug 2, 2010 #16

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl:

18. Aug 2, 2010 #17

turbo

Gold Member

I have a cousin in that boat. She is VERY petite and there are practically no women's clothes that will fit her. She is pretty and shapely, but her looks clash with the styles of clothes that pre-teens wear, making appropriate clothes tough to come by. She is a stunner in a cocktail dress, but you can't find cocktail dresses in the pre-teen racks. Since she is short, she prefers stiletto heels when she's dressing up, but she has to order them - no shoe store carries stilettos that small.

19. Aug 2, 2010 #18

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My wife has bought tons of pants on line (not Levi's) and we have never encountered this.

20. Aug 2, 2010 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Lisa, go to the Levi's homepage and contact customer service. I've been reading that a lot of people are having issues with the jeans and especially those coming from Egypt.

21. Aug 2, 2010 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks o:) I'll do that.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook