Stiochiometry (with solutions)

• Thread starter Attraction
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the concentration of a H2SO4 solution using the reaction between H2SO4 and NaOH. The plan for solving the problem involves converting the volume of NaOH used to moles of H2SO4 and then finding the concentration of H2SO4. One participant realizes their mistake in converting from moles H2SO4 to concentration H2SO4 by dividing by the total amount of solution instead of just the H2SO4 in the solution. A helpful link is provided for further clarification.
Attraction

Homework Statement

Given the following reaction:

H2SO4 + 2 NaOH ------>> Na2SO4 + 2 H2O

If 43.2 mL of 0.236 M NaOH reacts with 36.7 mL of H2SO4 , what is the concentration of the H2SO4 solution?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am looking for the concentration of the H2SO4 solution

My plan was...

Volume of NaOH ---> moles NaOH ---> moles H2SO4 ----> concentration H2SO4

But I am not getting the right answer, what am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Borek.

I just figured it out. My mistake was that to convert from moles H2SO4 to concentration H2SO4 I was dividing by the total amount of solution rather than the H2SO4 in the solution. Silly stuff, I need to be thinking more clearly.

Thanks for that link. It's helpful.

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

2. Why is stoichiometry important?

Stoichiometry is important because it allows us to predict the amount of product that will be formed in a chemical reaction, and to determine the amount of reactant needed to produce a desired amount of product.

3. How do you calculate stoichiometric ratios?

Stoichiometric ratios can be calculated by using the coefficients in a balanced chemical equation. The coefficient of each reactant or product represents the number of moles involved in the reaction.

4. What is the difference between limiting reactant and excess reactant?

The limiting reactant is the reactant that is completely consumed in a chemical reaction, while the excess reactant is the reactant that is left over after the limiting reactant is completely used up.

5. Can you provide an example of a stoichiometry problem with a solution?

For example, if 2 moles of hydrogen react with 1 mole of oxygen to produce water according to the equation 2H2 + O2 → 2H2O, how many moles of water will be produced? Using the stoichiometric ratio of 2:1 for hydrogen to oxygen, we can determine that 2 moles of hydrogen will produce 2 moles of water. Therefore, 1 mole of oxygen will produce 1 mole of water. So, the total moles of water produced will be 2 + 1 = 3 moles.