What are the design considerations for a 5kW Stirling engine?

In summary, the electrical engineering student is trying to design a solar dish which converts the heat from sunlight into electricity. He found a way to make a small stirling engine with the results he got from google. He was wondering how costly it would be to actually make or even buy a stirling engine of about 5 KW capacity.
vidarth
Hey,

I'm an electrical engineering student and I'm trying to design a solar dish which converts the heat from sunlight into electricity. I managed to make a small stirling engine with the results i got from google (The stirling engines made from coke cans). I was wondering how costly it would be to actually make or even buy a stirling engine of about 5 KW capacity.
Please reply if you have any experience with working with stirling engines.

Thank you,
Vidarth

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Making the Stirling engine is easy. Its making one that's efficient which is tough. In order to get even reasonable efficiency a thermal recuperator is required. The more efficient and less complicated designs use two pistons with a the recuperator in between them.

http://blog.steamshift.com/wp-content/uploads/moved/stirling_engine.gif

Making something like this for 5kW would be a bit challenging but certainly doable if you got a mill on hand. If you don't have access to a machine shop, I would look at stirling engine electrical generators used in boats as a starting point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Topher925 said:
Making the Stirling engine is easy. Its making one that's efficient which is tough. In order to get even reasonable efficiency a thermal recuperator is required. The more efficient and less complicated designs use two pistons with a the recuperator in between them.

Making something like this for 5kW would be a bit challenging but certainly doable if you got a mill on hand. If you don't have access to a machine shop, I would look at stirling engine electrical generators used in boats as a starting point.

Hey thanks a lot. Can you post some links about plans for a 5 kw stirling engine as i have access to a machine shop at university. Also do you know if any companies sell these commercially?

Check out a group on Yahoo called SESUSA. Somebody there could help you out. I don't think you'll have much luck getting one to run off of solar power. People have spent millions trying to do it right and they could never make it affordable, despite decent results from the engine. Most the engines made at home aren't very efficient so starting with a low temp source like solar will probably doom you.

I have been "collecting" various yard related engines for this kind of purpose. you can decrease your cost of manufacture significantly with pistons, cylinders, and crank assy's "off the shelf. I am still looking for some "scroungable" engine with 90 degree cyl spacing, but the closest so far is an "old Mopar" air conditioning compressor. search google books for hot air engines and you should yield up some added info in a historical sense, but it still helps.

dr

Topher925 said:

When I look at that picture the first thought is a model airplane engine, the second thought is a TEE pipe fitting, two opposed pistons in regular pipe sleeves, and a special machined aluminum or copper top sleeve. Charge it with propane and it should be a very cheap way to build. (use X or XX pipe fittings).

Bore the TEE through the center and weld a short nipple on each side to hold crankshaft bearings, then a pipe cap on each side will make a leak proof design.

To take power off don't forget about magnetic couplers, there are units that transfer a lot of power.

Ron

P.S. I have no idea what power, but 4" might get close?

1. How do Stirling engines work?

Stirling engines operate by using a temperature difference between a hot and cold source to convert heat energy into mechanical work. The engine consists of a closed loop that contains a working gas, such as air or helium, which expands and contracts as it is heated and cooled. This movement of the gas drives a piston, which in turn generates power.

2. What are the main components of a Stirling engine?

The main components of a Stirling engine are the heat source, heat exchanger, regenerator, working gas, piston, and crankshaft. The heat source is typically a burner or solar collector that provides the temperature difference needed for the engine to operate. The heat exchanger transfers heat to and from the working gas. The regenerator stores and recycles heat within the engine. The piston converts the energy from the gas expansion and contraction into mechanical work, and the crankshaft transfers this work to an external load.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a Stirling engine?

When designing a Stirling engine, factors such as the desired power output, temperature difference, and operating speed must be taken into account. The type of heat source and heat exchanger also play a crucial role in the design. Additionally, the choice of materials for the engine components and the overall size and weight of the engine should be considered for optimal performance.

4. What are the advantages of using a Stirling engine?

Stirling engines offer several advantages over traditional internal combustion engines, such as being more efficient, quieter, and having fewer moving parts. They can also run on a variety of fuels, including solar energy, biomass, and waste heat, making them a versatile and sustainable option for power generation. Stirling engines also produce less pollution and have lower maintenance costs compared to other engines.

5. How can I optimize the design of a Stirling engine for my specific needs?

The best way to optimize a Stirling engine design is to use computer simulations and experimental testing to determine the most efficient configuration for your specific needs. Factors such as the size and type of heat source, heat exchanger design, and choice of working gas can all be adjusted to achieve the desired power output and efficiency. Consulting with experienced Stirling engine designers and engineers can also provide valuable insights and guidance for optimizing your design.