Stirling Engines: Solving the Equation Puzzle

In summary, The design and construction of a stirling engine will depend on various factors and it may be difficult to find general equations for its dimensions. It's best to look for specific examples of similar engines and use them as a starting point. An engineering library may also have more detailed information on stirling engine design.
iggy2007
I have a pretty broad question. I, with several others, am working on some stirling engines for a science fair of sorts. I have done enough research to understand the concept of how they work. I also understand that there are several different types; single cylinder, double cylinder etc. What I am wondering is if anyone knows some general equations. For instance, if I have a copper tube of a certain diameter being heated by a flame of a given heat, How tall should my cylinder be? I have not been able to find any types of equations involving the stirling engine. Any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, it's difficult to answer this question in the general sense you are asking. The shape and size of a stirling engine will depend on the type of engine and its specific purpose, as well as other factors such as the material being used, the heat source, and the overall efficiency desired. You may be able to find some equations regarding the general principles of thermodynamics, but these may be difficult to apply directly to your engine design. The best advice I can give is to look for specific examples of engines similar to yours and use them as a starting point. If you have access to an engineering library, you may also be able to find more detailed information about the design and construction of stirling engines.

1. What is a Stirling engine?

A Stirling engine is a type of heat engine that converts thermal energy into mechanical work. It operates through a closed cycle process using the expansion and compression of a gas, typically air or helium, to produce motion.

2. How does a Stirling engine work?

A Stirling engine works by using the expansion and contraction of a gas to drive a piston, which in turn generates mechanical energy. The engine consists of a hot and cold side, separated by a regenerator, which allows heat to transfer between the two sides. As the gas expands and contracts, it moves the piston, which can be connected to a generator or other machinery to produce work.

3. What is the history of Stirling engines?

The Stirling engine was invented in 1816 by Robert Stirling, a Scottish clergyman. It gained popularity in the 19th century as an alternative to steam engines, but was eventually overshadowed by the internal combustion engine. In recent years, there has been renewed interest in Stirling engines for their efficiency and potential use in renewable energy systems.

4. What are the advantages of Stirling engines?

Stirling engines have several advantages, including: high efficiency, low noise, low emissions, and the ability to run on a variety of fuels including solar, biomass, and waste heat. They also have fewer moving parts compared to traditional engines, making them more reliable and easier to maintain.

5. What are some applications of Stirling engines?

Stirling engines have a wide range of applications, including: generating electricity in remote or off-grid locations, powering vehicles such as submarines or submarines, and heating and cooling systems for homes and buildings. They are also used in research and scientific experiments and have potential for use in space exploration as they can operate in a vacuum.