STM image quality

• Thread starter superwolf
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Any suggestions how I can improve the quality of STM (scanning tunneling microscopy) images? And how can I trace artifacts?

Answers and Replies

Danger
Gold Member
This isn't a field that I'm familiar with, but my first and only thought on the subject would be some sort of computer enhancement.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Any suggestions how I can improve the quality of STM (scanning tunneling microscopy) images? And how can I trace artifacts?
This question is extremely vague because you did not describe what you have, and what kind of "improvement" we are talking about.

STM is a very complicated instrument. I can rattle off a bunch of issues that can easily affect the quality of your image: EM isolation, vibration isolation, the size of the tip, how good is your feedback circuitry, what is your best current/voltage/spatial resolution, etc... etc. Even the type of material can affect how well you can image something, i.e. can it be cleaved in vacuum to reveal a pristine surface?

There are a million things there to deal with, and not enough information to deduce anything.

Zz.

f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
And post-processing is also important, programs like SPIP can make a huge difference to the "image quality" of an STM image, although they can also introduce artifacts if you are not careful.