1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

STM image quality

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    Any suggestions how I can improve the quality of STM (scanning tunneling microscopy) images? And how can I trace artifacts?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

This isn't a field that I'm familiar with, but my first and only thought on the subject would be some sort of computer enhancement.

4. Feb 27, 2009 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This question is extremely vague because you did not describe what you have, and what kind of "improvement" we are talking about.

STM is a very complicated instrument. I can rattle off a bunch of issues that can easily affect the quality of your image: EM isolation, vibration isolation, the size of the tip, how good is your feedback circuitry, what is your best current/voltage/spatial resolution, etc... etc. Even the type of material can affect how well you can image something, i.e. can it be cleaved in vacuum to reveal a pristine surface?

There are a million things there to deal with, and not enough information to deduce anything.

Zz.

5. Feb 27, 2009 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And post-processing is also important, programs like SPIP can make a huge difference to the "image quality" of an STM image, although they can also introduce artifacts if you are not careful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook