Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoat worries stockfish!

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2
    I don't know how much I would enjoy a cuddle session with that weasel, but it is adorable, I appreciate it's tenacity.

4. Apr 8, 2012 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Fish, fish, everywhere and not a bite to eat.

5. Apr 8, 2012 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I always thought a "stoat" was a pig!

6. Apr 8, 2012 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The stoat can be easil-
    Y told from the weasel
    By the simple fact
    That the tail is blacked
    And the figure
    Is slightly the bigger.

-- Anon.

But stoats in the UK don't have white coats in winter, except possibly in the Scottish mountains.

I'm surprised its teeth aren't sharp enough, unless the fish was frozen solid.

I once saw a weasel "hypnotize" and kill a rabbit. The first thing I noticed was that a rabbit suddenly stopped munching the grass and got that "frozen in the headlights" look. Then I saw the weasel about 5 yards in front of it, standing up on its hind legs and swaying from side to side. After about a couple of minutes it decided the rabbit was immobilized, and literally just walked up to it and climbed on its back. At this point the rabbit decided that running away might be a good idea, but only managed one hop before a bite to the back of the neck sent it to the big rabbit warren in the sky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoat has a picture of the same thing.

7. Apr 8, 2012 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Weasels are cute! Here, they turn white every winter with black-tipped tails. Very smart and engaging little critters.

8. Apr 8, 2012 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Wouldn't play for me, but that's irrelevant since I have the gist of what went on.
    As a good little Canuck, I of course am a major fan of the alpha stoat... Wolverine!

Bye the by, the name on my baseball jersey was "Weasel". :biggrin:

9. Apr 9, 2012 #8

turbo

Gold Member

I have had ferrets for a very long time and can "tame" a weasel (to some extent) in minutes if I have food available.

Chipmunks are much easier to tame and are much more trusting, so you can hold them while they are eating, but a wild weasel will warm up to you and get very close if you have food to offer.

10. Apr 9, 2012 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Is that what you kids call it these days? And I thought that "spanking the monkey" was a bad analogy... :rolleyes:

11. Apr 9, 2012 #10

turbo

Gold Member

I can do a lot with wild animals. Weasels and chipmunks are pretty easy to get close to. When I was a kid, a family friend lived not far from here, and he had a "pet" bear. Nice bear, and didn't look at me like "food". He loved carrots, apples, and other fall foods.

12. Apr 9, 2012 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I bet you can. Wink wink, nudge nudge. Say no more...

All that I can think is that perhaps your Yank critters are more civilized because they don't get as cold as ours. Here, we don't dare approach an apparently tame bear because it will still rip your face off. (And, all joking aside, one did just that with my best friend's cousin about 20 years ago. I don't know how many plastic surgeries he had, and he still doesn't quite look human.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook