Stoat Vs. Boknafisk: Survival of the Fittest

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary: Boknafisk is a type of unsalted stockfish that is left hanging outside during the winter to freeze. It is usually served with a sauce made from onions, vinegar, and herbs. The stoat can be easily identified because it has a black-tipped tail and a larger figure than the weasel.
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how much I would enjoy a cuddle session with that weasel, but it is adorable, I appreciate it's tenacity.

Fish, fish, everywhere and not a bite to eat.

I always thought a "stoat" was a pig!

DaveC426913 said:
I always thought a "stoat" was a pig!
The stoat can be easil-
Y told from the weasel
By the simple fact
That the tail is blacked
And the figure
Is slightly the bigger.

-- Anon.

But stoats in the UK don't have white coats in winter, except possibly in the Scottish mountains.

I'm surprised its teeth aren't sharp enough, unless the fish was frozen solid.

I once saw a weasel "hypnotize" and kill a rabbit. The first thing I noticed was that a rabbit suddenly stopped munching the grass and got that "frozen in the headlights" look. Then I saw the weasel about 5 yards in front of it, standing up on its hind legs and swaying from side to side. After about a couple of minutes it decided the rabbit was immobilized, and literally just walked up to it and climbed on its back. At this point the rabbit decided that running away might be a good idea, but only managed one hop before a bite to the back of the neck sent it to the big rabbit warren in the sky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoat has a picture of the same thing.

Weasels are cute! Here, they turn white every winter with black-tipped tails. Very smart and engaging little critters.

Wouldn't play for me, but that's irrelevant since I have the gist of what went on.
As a good little Canuck, I of course am a major fan of the alpha stoat... Wolverine!

Bye the by, the name on my baseball jersey was "Weasel". :biggrin:

I have had ferrets for a very long time and can "tame" a weasel (to some extent) in minutes if I have food available.

Chipmunks are much easier to tame and are much more trusting, so you can hold them while they are eating, but a wild weasel will warm up to you and get very close if you have food to offer.

turbo said:
I have had ferrets for a very long time and can "tame" a weasel

Is that what you kids call it these days? And I thought that "spanking the monkey" was a bad analogy... :rolleyes:

Danger said:
Is that what you kids call it these days? And I thought that "spanking the monkey" was a bad analogy... :rolleyes:
I can do a lot with wild animals. Weasels and chipmunks are pretty easy to get close to. When I was a kid, a family friend lived not far from here, and he had a "pet" bear. Nice bear, and didn't look at me like "food". He loved carrots, apples, and other fall foods.

turbo said:
I can do a lot with wild animals.

I bet you can. Wink wink, nudge nudge. Say no more...

All that I can think is that perhaps your Yank critters are more civilized because they don't get as cold as ours. Here, we don't dare approach an apparently tame bear because it will still rip your face off. (And, all joking aside, one did just that with my best friend's cousin about 20 years ago. I don't know how many plastic surgeries he had, and he still doesn't quite look human.)

What is "Stoat Vs. Boknafisk: Survival of the Fittest"?

"Stoat Vs. Boknafisk: Survival of the Fittest" is a scientific study that explores the survival strategies of two species, the stoat and the boknafisk, in a competitive environment.

Why were the stoat and boknafisk chosen for this study?

The stoat and boknafisk were chosen because they are both predators that occupy similar habitats and have overlapping food sources. This makes them natural competitors in the wild.

What were the main findings of this study?

The main findings of this study were that the stoat had a higher success rate in catching prey, but the boknafisk had a higher survival rate due to its ability to camouflage and avoid predation.

How does this study contribute to our understanding of evolution and natural selection?

This study provides evidence for the role of natural selection in shaping the behaviors and survival strategies of different species. It also highlights the importance of adaptation and competition in the process of evolution.

Can the results of this study be applied to other species and environments?

While the specific findings of this study pertain to the stoat and boknafisk, the principles of competition and natural selection can be observed in various species and environments. Further research on different species can help us better understand these concepts and their impact on evolutionary processes.