Stochastic approximation applied to fixed source problem

In summary, the conversation discussed using the Monte Carlo method to solve a system of equations and the possibility of accelerating the convergence by incorporating the Robbins-Monro algorithm. The algorithm is known for finding zeros of nonlinear stochastic equations and can be applied to stochastic Fredholm problems. However, its effectiveness may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the problem.
wronski77
Dear forum members,

I am trying to solve the following system of equations.

ψ(x,y,z)=∫∫ψ(x',y',z)K(x',y',z)dx'dy'

z=f(ψ)

What I do is to solve the integral equation with a Monte Carlo method, evaluate "z" and do a loop until convergence.

My question to you is whether it is possible to accelerate the convergence by using stochastic approximation method such as Stochastic gradient descent (a.k.a. Robbins-Monro). I would highly appreciate any comments on the subject, including general information about the Robbins-Monro algorithm. What I know about the Robbins-Monro algorithm is that it is used to find zeros of nonlinear stochastic equations. Can It be applied to stochastic Fredholm problems like the one above?

Thank you in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org

[username]

Dear [username],

Thank you for your question and for sharing your approach to solving the system of equations. The Monte Carlo method is a commonly used technique for solving integrals, and it is interesting that you are using it in conjunction with the function "z=f(ψ)". As for your question about accelerating the convergence, the answer is yes. The Robbins-Monro algorithm can indeed be applied to stochastic Fredholm problems like the one you have described.

The Robbins-Monro algorithm, also known as stochastic gradient descent, is a powerful method for finding the zeros of nonlinear stochastic equations. It is a type of stochastic approximation method that uses a sequence of stochastic approximations to converge to the desired solution. In simple terms, it is an iterative algorithm that updates the solution based on the gradient of the objective function at each iteration.

In the context of your problem, the objective function would be the difference between the calculated value of "z" and the desired value of "z". By using the Robbins-Monro algorithm, you can update your solution at each iteration and hopefully reach convergence faster than with the Monte Carlo method alone.

However, it is important to note that the success of the algorithm depends on the specific characteristics of your problem. It may not always result in faster convergence and could potentially lead to instability in certain cases. Therefore, I would recommend testing the algorithm on your specific problem and comparing the results with the Monte Carlo method to determine its effectiveness.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is stochastic approximation?

Stochastic approximation is an iterative algorithm used to estimate the solution to a problem without explicitly calculating it. It relies on randomly selecting data points and using them to update the estimate until it converges to the true solution.

2. How is stochastic approximation applied to fixed source problems?

In fixed source problems, the goal is to estimate the parameters of a model based on a known set of data points. Stochastic approximation is used to iteratively update the estimates of these parameters until they converge to the true values.

3. What are the advantages of using stochastic approximation?

Stochastic approximation is useful for problems where the solution cannot be calculated explicitly or where the data is too large to be processed at once. It also allows for a more flexible and adaptive approach to estimating parameters compared to traditional methods.

4. What are some common applications of stochastic approximation?

Stochastic approximation is commonly used in machine learning, optimization, and statistical inference. It has also been applied to problems in finance, engineering, and biology.

5. What are some limitations of stochastic approximation?

Stochastic approximation may not always converge to the true solution and can be sensitive to the choice of initial parameters. It may also require a large number of iterations to reach convergence, making it computationally expensive.