1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stochastic Calculus

1. Jan 27, 2005 #1
    Hello all

If you throw a head I give you $1. If you throw a tail you give me $1. If [tex] R_i [/tex] is the random amount ($1 or -$1) you make on the [tex] ith [/tex] toss then why is: [tex] E[R_i] = 0, E[R^2_i]=1, E[R_iR_j] = 0 [/tex]? If [tex] S_i = \sum^i_{j=1} R_j [/tex] which represents the total amount of money you have won up to and including the ith toss, then why does [tex] E[S_i] = 0, E[S_i^2] = E[R_1^2 + 2R_1R_2 + ...] = i [/tex]? I know that if there had been five tosses already then [tex] E[S_6|R_1,...,R_5] = S_5 [/tex]

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2
    I know that Expected Value is defined as: [tex] E[X] = \sum_x f(x)P(x) [/tex] for a discrete variable.

4. Jan 27, 2005 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, and Ri is what is called (in my probability theory class I'm taking anyways) a Bernoulli Random Variable. There are only two possible outcomes: success, or failure, usually denoted by 1 or 0 respectively. However, since Ri represents the winnings, and they are -1 for tails, the expectation, given your definition is (letting H denote a heads and T a tails):

[tex] E[X] = \sum_x xp(x) = 1\cdot P(H) -1 \cdot P(T) = 1/2 - 1/2 = 0 [/tex]

The expectation can be interpreted as the average value (ie the value expected over time) that the random variable takes on. For a random variable that can only take on the values 1 and -1, what is the average? Since both outcomes have equal weighting (p = 1-p = 1/2), on average you'd expect no net winnings, since the chances of getting a dollar are about equal to that of having to pay up. I hope this gets you started. Now consider the other cases: what is Ri squared? Well, what is 1^2? What is (-1)^2?
    ETC...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?