1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stochastic Integrals

1. Feb 6, 2005 #1
    Hello all

Let's say we define a stochastic integral as:
    [tex] W(t) = \int^{t}_{0} f(\varsigma)dX(\varsigma) = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum^{n}_{j=1} f(t_{j-1})(X(t{j})) - X(t_{j-1})) [/tex] with [tex] t_{j} = \frac{jt}{n} [/tex] IS this basically the same definition as a regular integral?

Also if we have [tex] W(t) = \int^{t}_{0} f(\varsigma) dX(\varsigma) [/tex] then does [tex] dW = f(\varsigma) dX [/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the first integral i can see a strong resemblence with the Riemann sum...As for the second (and for the first too),who's zeta...?

4. Feb 6, 2005 #3
    The Weiner process the one you are looking for and luckily old Norbert worked it out for us. This really becomes more statistical than anything because we have to talk about the average or standard deviation of each step in the integral. It has been a little while and I dont have any notes with me at the present moment but Norbert is the man to look into to wrap your mind around stochastic integrations!
  5. Feb 6, 2005 #4
    zeta is a variable corresponding to time
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?