Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stochastically find dissimilarity between time series data and model prediction

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1
    I have many time series, with each featuring fifteen data points (x,t). I wish to fit a parameterised model to each data series. At present I'm using particle swarm optimisation (PSO) for this purpose. Within my objective function I quantify fitness using the Bray Curtis distance between a) the data series and b) the prediction corresponding to a candidate solution.

The problem I have is that the PSO fitting does not presently account for uncertainty in either x or t. The variances in x and t are most likely themselves invariant and I'd ideally like to treat each data point as a 2D Gaussian PDF.

My question is this: could Gaussian Processes (GPs) be used within my objective function to _stochastically_ determine the dissimilarity between a 15-point data series and the 15 (or more) point prediction corresponding to a candidate solution?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Regards,

Will Furnass

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted