Stock Options and Arbitrage Problem

• Thread starter Oragest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Options
In summary: This creates an arbitrage opportunity, as we can sell our portfolio for a risk-free profit of (z(1+p)^n + Sn - K) - z = (1+p)^n(Sn - S0 - K) > 0.Therefore, our assumption that V0 > S0 - K(1+p)^-n leads to an arbitrage opportunity, which is a contradiction. This means that our initial assumption must be false, and we can conclude that V0 <= S0 - K(1+p)^-n. This proves the given inequality using arbitrage. I hope this explanation helps you in your studies. Best of luck! In summary, we can prove the
Oragest

Homework Statement

I'm currently taking an introduction to mathematical finance and I'm not sure how to go about proving this inequality using arbitrage.

Consider a European call option with strike price K. Give an arbitrage argument which shows we must have V0 <= S0 - K(1+p)^-n.

Homework Equations

V0 is the price of the option at time t=0.
S0 is the price of the stock at time t=0.
Vn is the price of the option at t=n, given by max{S-K, 0}.
p is the risk-free interest rate.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to solve this by buying a stock and putting an amount z in the bank at time t=0, then comparing the initial and final value of the portfolio with the option. I've set z = K(1+p)^-n so that at t=n z will equal K. I get stuck after that.

I've also tried to use the put-call parity but it takes away from the proof part of the assignment if I use that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out for help with your problem. I understand the importance of using rigorous methods to prove mathematical statements. In this case, we can use the concept of arbitrage to prove the given inequality.

First, let's define what arbitrage means in the context of financial markets. Arbitrage is a risk-free profit opportunity that arises when an asset is priced differently in two different markets. In other words, an arbitrage opportunity allows an investor to make a profit without taking on any risk.

Now, let's consider the situation at hand. We have a European call option with strike price K, and we want to prove that its price at time t=0, denoted by V0, is less than or equal to S0 - K(1+p)^-n. To prove this, we will assume that V0 > S0 - K(1+p)^-n and show that this leads to an arbitrage opportunity.

Let's say we have an initial capital of z, which we will invest in the stock and the risk-free asset. According to our assumption, the price of the option at time t=0 is V0, and the price of the stock is S0. This means that we can buy z/S0 shares of the stock and invest the remaining amount in the risk-free asset. This creates a portfolio with a value of z at time t=0.

Now, let's fast forward to time t=n. At this point, the stock price could have gone up or down. If the stock price goes up to Sn, then the value of our portfolio would be z(1+p)^n + Vn, where Vn represents the value of the option at time t=n. On the other hand, if the stock price goes down to Sn, then the value of our portfolio would be z(1+p)^n. This is because the option would expire worthless, and we would only have the amount invested in the risk-free asset.

Since we assumed that V0 > S0 - K(1+p)^-n, this means that Vn > Sn - K. This is because the value of the option at time t=n, represented by Vn, is given by max{Sn-K, 0}. Therefore, regardless of whether the stock price goes up or down, our portfolio will have a value of at least z(1+p)^n + Sn - K, which

1. What are stock options?

Stock options are a type of financial derivative that give an investor the right, but not the obligation, to buy or sell a specific stock at a predetermined price on or before a certain date. They are often used as a form of compensation for employees or as a speculative investment for traders.

2. How do stock options work?

Stock options work by granting the holder the ability to purchase or sell a specific stock at a predetermined price, known as the strike price. The holder can exercise the option at any point before the expiration date, but they are not required to do so. If the stock price is favorable, the holder can buy or sell the stock at the strike price and make a profit. If the stock price is not favorable, the holder can let the option expire and only lose the initial cost of purchasing the option.

3. What is an arbitrage problem in relation to stock options?

An arbitrage problem in stock options refers to a situation where an investor can make a risk-free profit by exploiting a discrepancy in the prices of related options. For example, if an investor can buy a call option for a stock at a lower price than they can sell a put option for the same stock, they can make a profit without taking on any market risk.

4. What is the purpose of stock options and arbitrage?

The purpose of stock options and arbitrage is to provide investors with opportunities to make potentially profitable trades while minimizing risk. Stock options can be used to speculate on the future price of a stock or to hedge against potential losses. Arbitrage allows investors to exploit market inefficiencies and make risk-free profits.

5. What are the risks associated with stock options and arbitrage?

The main risk associated with stock options and arbitrage is market volatility. If the stock price moves in an unfavorable direction, the investor could lose money. Additionally, there is always the risk of the options expiring worthless if they are not exercised before the expiration date. It is important for investors to carefully consider their risk tolerance and do thorough research before engaging in stock options and arbitrage strategies.