Understanding ${\sigma}$ in $\oint F*dr=_{\sigma}\iint(curlF)nds$

• Thread starter nhrock3
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation _{c}∫ F*dr=_{\sigma}∫(curlF)nds, where F(x,y,z)=(2z)i+(3x)j+(5y)k, and {\sigma} represents a part of a paraboloid z=4-x^2-y^2 where z>=0. The parametric view of the paraboloid is given as x=2cost, y=2sint, and z=0. The next step involves evaluating the integral using the given parametric view.
nhrock3
[TEX]
_{c}\oint F*dr=_{\sigma}\iint(curlF)nds
[/TEX]
F(x,y,z)=(2z)i+(3x)j+(5y)k
[TEX]
_{\sigma}
[/TEX] is a part of a paraboloid [TEX]z=4-x^2-y^2[/TEX] where z>=0
on the x-y plane our paraboloid is 4=x^2+y^2
and the parametric view of it is:
x=2cost y=2sint z=0

so we get
[TEX]
_{c}\oint F*dr= (2z)dx+(3x)dy+(5y)dz
[/TEX]

i can't understand the next step[TEX]

_{c}\oint F*dr= (2z)dx+(3x)dy+(5y)dz=\intop_{0}^{2\pi}[0+(6cost)(2cost)+0]dt
[/TEX]
why??

Physics news on Phys.org
hi nhrock3! :smile:
nhrock3 said:
_{c}∫ F*dr=_{\sigma}∫(curlF)nds

F(x,y,z)=(2z)i+(3x)j+(5y)k

{\sigma} is a part of a paraboloid z=4-x^2-y^2 where z>=0
on the x-y plane our paraboloid is 4=x^2+y^2
and the parametric view of it is:
x=2cost y=2sint z=0

so we get

_{c}∫ F*dr= (2z)dx+(3x)dy+(5y)dz

i can't understand the next step[TEX]

_{c}∫ F*dr= (2z)dx+(3x)dy+(5y)dz=∫_{0}^{2\pi}[0+(6cost)(2cost)+0]dt

why??

it comes from x=2cost y=2sint z=0 …

(and so dy = 2cost dt) :wink:

1. What is the significance of ${\sigma}$ in the equation $\oint F*dr=_{\sigma}\iint(curlF)nds$?

The symbol ${\sigma}$ represents the surface charge density in the given equation. It is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit area on a surface.

2. How is ${\sigma}$ related to the electric field in the equation $\oint F*dr=_{\sigma}\iint(curlF)nds$?

The electric field is directly proportional to the surface charge density ${\sigma}$ in the given equation. This means that as the surface charge density increases, the electric field also increases.

3. What is the difference between $\oint F*dr$ and $\iint(curlF)nds$ in the equation $\oint F*dr=_{\sigma}\iint(curlF)nds$?

The first term, $\oint F*dr$, represents the line integral of the electric field around a closed loop. The second term, $\iint(curlF)nds$, represents the surface integral of the curl of the electric field over a closed surface. Essentially, the first term deals with the electric field along a line, while the second term deals with the electric field over a surface.

4. How does the equation $\oint F*dr=_{\sigma}\iint(curlF)nds$ relate to Gauss's Law?

The given equation is a mathematical representation of Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. The left side of the equation represents the electric flux, while the right side represents the charge enclosed and the permittivity of free space.

5. What are the units of ${\sigma}$ in the equation $\oint F*dr=_{\sigma}\iint(curlF)nds$?

The units of ${\sigma}$ in the given equation are coulombs per square meter (C/m2). This is because ${\sigma}$ represents the amount of electric charge per unit area, and the unit for electric charge is coulombs (C).