Stoichiometry of reaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the general formula for degrading food waste to methane and the inclusion of sulfur in the formula. The equations and variables involved in balancing the coefficients of H2O, CH4, and CO2 are also mentioned as a means of solving for the unknown coefficients.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

There's no problem statement, I'm doing this as part of my project

For degradation of food wastes to methane, the general formula is given for food waste (without sulfur)

##C_{n}H_{a}O_{b}N_{c} + (n - \frac {a}{4} - \frac {b}{2} + \frac {3c}{4})H_{2}O \rightarrow (\frac {n}{2} + \frac {a}{8} - \frac {b}{4} - \frac {3c}{8})CH_{4} + (\frac {n}{2} - \frac {a}{8} + \frac {b}{4} + \frac {3c}{8})CO_{2} + cNH_{3}##

However, for my purpose I need to include sulfur, so my formula should be
##C_{n}H_{a}O_{b}N_{c}S_{d}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This part with the N and S are easy, but figuring out the other stuff is of course my issue.
##C_{n}H_{a}O_{b}N_{c}S_{d} + (...)H_{2}O \rightarrow (...) CH_{4} + (...)CO_{2} + cNH_{3} + dH_{2}S##

Physics news on Phys.org
CH4 and CO2 don't change.

Can't say whole equation makes much sense to me, it looks rather arbitrary.

I imagine they would change, since you are using hydrogen to make H2S instead of going into CH4, right? This is a pseudo reaction of course, I'm trying to model solid wastes to methane from anaerobic digestion without having to model all the many reactions involved in a real digestion

OK, you are right, they are not independent.

What you do is call x the coefficient of H2O, y the coefficient of CH4, and z the coefficient of CO2. Then you do an atom balance on H, C, and O. This gives you three linear algebraic equations in the three unknowns x, y, and z. Just solve for these unknowns.

Chet

Likes gfd43tg
Chestermiller said:
What you do is call x the coefficient of H2O, y the coefficient of CH4, and z the coefficient of CO2. Then you do an atom balance on H, C, and O. This gives you three linear algebraic equations in the three unknowns x, y, and z. Just solve for these unknowns.

Chet
Thanks, now time to crank out the algebra

1. What is stoichiometry of reaction?

Stoichiometry of reaction is the study of the quantitative relationships between the amount of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It involves using balanced chemical equations to determine the ratios of substances involved in a reaction.

2. What is the importance of stoichiometry in chemical reactions?

Stoichiometry is important in chemical reactions because it allows us to predict the quantities of reactants and products that will be involved in a reaction. This information is crucial for determining the efficiency of a reaction, as well as for controlling the amount of reactants needed for a specific product.

3. How is stoichiometry used in real-life applications?

Stoichiometry is used in a wide range of real-life applications, such as in the production of medicines, fertilizers, and other industrial products. It is also used in environmental studies, as it helps to calculate the amount of pollutants produced in a chemical reaction.

4. What are the key factors that affect stoichiometry of reaction?

The key factors that affect stoichiometry of reaction include the reactants' molar ratios, the reaction conditions (such as temperature and pressure), and the presence of catalysts or inhibitors. These factors can alter the efficiency of a reaction and the amount of products produced.

5. How is stoichiometry related to the Law of Conservation of Mass?

The Law of Conservation of Mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction, only rearranged. Stoichiometry is directly related to this law, as it ensures that the total mass of reactants is equal to the total mass of products in a chemical reaction.