1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoichiometry of reaction

1. Nov 5, 2015 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There's no problem statement, I'm doing this as part of my project

For degradation of food wastes to methane, the general formula is given for food waste (without sulfur)

##C_{n}H_{a}O_{b}N_{c} + (n - \frac {a}{4} - \frac {b}{2} + \frac {3c}{4})H_{2}O \rightarrow (\frac {n}{2} + \frac {a}{8} - \frac {b}{4} - \frac {3c}{8})CH_{4} + (\frac {n}{2} - \frac {a}{8} + \frac {b}{4} + \frac {3c}{8})CO_{2} + cNH_{3}##

However, for my purpose I need to include sulfur, so my formula should be
    ##C_{n}H_{a}O_{b}N_{c}S_{d}##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This part with the N and S are easy, but figuring out the other stuff is of course my issue.
    ##C_{n}H_{a}O_{b}N_{c}S_{d} + (...)H_{2}O \rightarrow (...) CH_{4} + (...)CO_{2} + cNH_{3} + dH_{2}S##

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

CH4 and CO2 don't change.

Can't say whole equation makes much sense to me, it looks rather arbitrary.

4. Nov 6, 2015 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

I imagine they would change, since you are using hydrogen to make H2S instead of going into CH4, right? This is a pseudo reaction of course, I'm trying to model solid wastes to methane from anaerobic digestion without having to model all the many reactions involved in a real digestion

5. Nov 6, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

OK, you are right, they are not independent.

6. Nov 6, 2015 #5
    What you do is call x the coefficient of H2O, y the coefficient of CH4, and z the coefficient of CO2. Then you do an atom balance on H, C, and O. This gives you three linear algebraic equations in the three unknowns x, y, and z. Just solve for these unknowns.

Chet

7. Nov 7, 2015 #6

Maylis

Gold Member

Thanks, now time to crank out the algebra

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted