1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoichiometry Practice Problems

1. Feb 16, 2006 #1
    Aluminum oxide is formed from the reaction of metallic aluminum with oxygen gas. How many moles of Aluminum are needed to form 3.4 moles of Aluminum oxide?

I don't necessarily need help solving the problem itself (I want to try to do it on my own) but I don't understand how to set the equation up. Aluminum oxide? --> AlO? Metallic aluminum? --> Al? Oxygen gas? --> O?

Al + O --> AlO ?

That seems too easy...and wrong...:confused: :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2006 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Look at the periodic table - Na2O, MgO, SiO2 - what should be the formula of aliminum oxide?

4. Feb 16, 2006 #3
    Sorry for the wait, computer problems. :)

Anyways, is it...

Al + O2 --> Al2O3

5. Feb 17, 2006 #4

Borek

Exactly.

Now it should be a breeze...

6. Feb 17, 2006 #5
    Well, we're talking about me doing this so we'll see...:tongue:

Is this correctly balanced?

4Al + 3O2 --> 2Al2O3

7. Feb 18, 2006 #6
    Ah, I know it was supposed to be easy (And I'm sure it is as my teacher said so as well on the lesson page.) but I don't know what to do. I think the problem lies in what it is I'm doing exactly...what is stoichiometry? I read the definitions and took the notes but it's still a bit fuzzy.

8. Feb 18, 2006 #7

Borek

Reaction is balanced. Now - think in terms of proportions. You need 4 moles of Al to obtain 2 moles of oxide. If so, how many moles of Al are needed to prepare 3.4 mole of oxide?

9. Feb 18, 2006 #8
    I can do that but I don't understand why I'm doing it if I need to know how many moles of Aluminum are needed to make 3.4 moles of Aluminum Oxide...:frown:

10. Feb 18, 2006 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps you haven't thought about what the balanced equation is telling you. How would you put the equation into words ?

11. Feb 18, 2006 #10
    I'd probably say, "Four atoms of Aluminum and six atoms of Oxygen make Aluminum Oxide"...which seems to be quite wrong.

12. Feb 19, 2006 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try "4 atoms of Aluminum react with 3 molecules of Oxygen, making two molecules of Aluminum Oxide".

The lesson to learn from this (that's relevant to the question asked) is that 4 atoms of Al give rise to 2 molecules of Al2O3.

There ! Piece of cake, eh ?

13. Feb 19, 2006 #12
    So you aren't counting the two after the O? If not, why? I was which is how I got confused.

14. Feb 19, 2006 #13
    Determine the number of grams of NH3 produced by the reaction of 3.5g of hydrogen gas with sufficient nitrogen gas. (Check for diatomic elements).

I wrote down the diatomic elements but I'm not sure if this is right:

H2 + N2 --> NH3

15. Feb 19, 2006 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

note that he said 3 molecules of Oxygen, not atoms.

16. Feb 19, 2006 #15
    Ah, okay.:biggrin: And that's done with Oxygen and not Aluminum because Oxygen is a diatomic element?:smile:

17. Feb 19, 2006 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes, indeedy. Don't forget those diatomic elements --
    Nobody Has Fear Of Ice Cold Beer. :biggrin:
    And you can see there on the left side of the equation that your Al doesn't have a subscript like the O2.

18. Feb 19, 2006 #17
    So, when creating an equation like that one, the diatomic element involved (If there is one.) always has a subscript of two, right? The other element needs no such thing? So, if I'm right about that, my other equation is correct?

H2 + N2 --> NH3

Hydrogen and Nitrogen are both diatomic elements so they both require the subscripted two? However, I'm not sure why I ended up with what I did in the first equation...

Al + O2 --> Al2O3

The product switched subscripts...Al was three and Oxygen was two at the beginning. Why is that exactly? I remembered doing that with my tutor last year which is why I did it here but why I did it isn't clear to me.

19. Feb 19, 2006 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes, but you will need to balance it.
    well, you started with this
    Al + O2 --> Al2O3
    but then you used coefficients to balance it, so your subscripts did not change, just the coefficients.
    4Al + 3O2 --> 2Al2O3

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  20. Feb 19, 2006 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

maybe it was the step where you balanced the charges to get Al2O3 that is confusing you?

21. Feb 19, 2006 #20
    I was hoping I had gotten the second one correct (Balancing the equation usually isn't too hard for me but setting it up is a different story.:rofl: ).

What confused me about the first one is that I started out with this:

Al + O2 --> Al2O3

On the left side of the equation, Al has no number near it. Oxygen has a two after it. The final product is Al2O3 which means Al now has a number after it. Where did it come from? I vaguely remember my tutor saying something about, "Switch the numbers..." which is kind of confusing being that it is a vague memory.:rolleyes:

Now, I know I was given the product in this particular equation but, let's say I was given this:

Al + O2 --> ?

...and I had to write the final product. I'd have to get Al2O3, right? If so, how would I get that all on my own? Am I hitting on something I should know or am I unnecessarily confusing myself?:biggrin:

As for balancing the second equation, would it be:

3H2 + N2 --> 2NH3

How did you get the numbers subscripted in your other post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?