Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoichiometry Professions

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    Hi guys, I was just wondering, what professions include Stoichiometry. I learnt it in class, but found it pretty useless in real life.

I have been told that historians require the use of Stoichiometry, but I couldn't find out how. Can someone explain how Historians can use this concept.

Please and Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Chemist, Chemical Engineer, sometimes Chemical Laboratory Technician. That is for your first part, which is too easy.

For your second part, that is so unspecified as to be meaningless regarding Stoichiometry. Do you have any kind of historian to consider?

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3
    Stoichiometry is a pretty fundamental concept and is often used for such things like balancing equations and determining flow rates of a chemical process. I'm an ME and I use it all the time to determine stoichiometric flow rates in the lab, also referred to as "stoichs".

5. Nov 10, 2009 #4
    And indeed, to widen the scope even further, it could be argued that professions like chefs, builders or highway planners use a form of stoichiometry in their roles.

It's not just chemists, or scientists...

S

6. Nov 10, 2009 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I never imagined terminology and applications of Stoichiometry outside of Chemistry. More generally, any items which need be characterised by ratios among them or among their output might be calling the characterisation, Stoichiometry. The Chemistry viewpoint tends to be very narrow.

7. Nov 10, 2009 #6
    Hi,

The point that you mentioned here is very correct and I have heard of stoichiometry which is used for calculating quantities. it is often used to balance chemical equations.

Thanks!

8. Nov 11, 2009 #7
    I'm not sure what you classify as stoichiometry, but I use the basic concepts of unit conversion all the time. I learned this type of stoichiometry a few years ago in a high school chemistry class, but its applications are extremely useful. Really this is just basic algebra, but I use these ideas almost every day. As far as chemistry goes, if you need a chemistry degree to do your job, you will most likely be doing a ton of stoichiometry nearly every day.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook