Stoichiometry Solving for unknow

In summary, the problem involves finding the metallic oxide when given the mass of the oxide and the metal produced in a reaction with excess hydrogen. The correct answer is B) Cu_2_O, and the setup for finding the answer involves calculating the moles of the metal produced through mass and molar mass.
UWMpanther
[SOLVED] Stoichiometry Solving for unknow

Ok so this should be a simple, I know the answer from the key but need to know how to get to that answer.

Q: When 1.187g of a metallic oxide is reduced with excess hydrogen, 1.054 grams of the metal is produced. What is the metallic oxide?

A) Ag_2_O B)Cu_2_O C) K_2_O D) Tl_2_O

_x_ meaning subscript

I know the answer is B, but I cannont figure out where to start the problem.:mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, since the metal oxide is the limiting reagent, you can totally ignore the hydrogen.

You can go for trial and error, work out each of the moles through mass and Molar Mass by subbing Ag, Cu K and Tl.

Should be enough help for now, I hope.

THank you Invictious, but I'm still confused on the setup. Should it look something like:

Cu: 1.054g x 1/63.55 x this is where I get lost.

Ok I think I get it now:

setup for Cu would look like:
1.187 x 1/143.1 x 127.1/1
or would it be
1.187 x 1/143.1 x 2/1 x 63.55/1

1. How do I solve for an unknown in a stoichiometry problem?

In order to solve for an unknown in a stoichiometry problem, you will need to use the given information and the stoichiometric ratios to set up an equation and then solve for the unknown variable using algebraic methods.

2. What is the purpose of stoichiometry in chemistry?

Stoichiometry is used in chemistry to determine the relationship between the amounts of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It allows us to make predictions about the amounts of products formed or reactants needed for a reaction to take place.

3. How do I know which stoichiometric ratio to use in a problem?

The stoichiometric ratio to use in a problem can be determined by looking at the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. The coefficients in the equation represent the mole ratios between the reactants and products.

4. Can I use stoichiometry to determine the limiting reactant?

Yes, stoichiometry can be used to determine the limiting reactant in a chemical reaction. By comparing the amount of each reactant present to the stoichiometric ratio, you can determine which reactant will be completely used up first.

5. What is the difference between theoretical and actual yield in stoichiometry?

Theoretical yield is the amount of product that is expected to be produced based on stoichiometric calculations. Actual yield is the amount of product that is actually obtained in a reaction. Actual yield may be lower than theoretical yield due to factors such as incomplete reactions or losses during the process.