How is Stoke's theorem applied in this situation?

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
In summary, the task is to prove that the integral of the tangent vector t with respect to the unit vector tangent to a closed curve C is equal to zero using Stoke's theorem. The issue is that Stoke's theorem usually involves a dot product, but in this case, there is no dot product and we are integrating a vector. A possible hint is to use an intermediate step by considering a constant vector and deriving a corollary. Another approach is to consider the dot product between the tangent vector t and the basis vector.
Pythagorean
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove:

[tex]\int \hat{t} ds = 0[/tex]

over C, a closed curve; t is the unit vector tangent to C.

Homework Equations

stoke's theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

My issue is that normally, stoke's theorem involves a vector function that we dot into the unit vector (t) (resulting in a scalar) and when we use stoke's theorem, we instead curl that vector function, then dot it into n, the surface normal vector.

However, in this situation, there's no dot product, so we're integrating a vector.

My first attempt was to use the diad product, but I feel like I'm being a bit cavalier with it. I'd just like a hint, but not a full solution so that I can think about it more.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using an intermediate step: If you use Stoke's theorem directly for a vector [tex]\vec{c}[/tex] that's constant over space (and hence has zero curl ), you should be able to easily derive a useful corollary here.

gabbagabbahey is quite correct. If you want to see a dot product in there, the ith component of the integral around the curve of the tangent vector is the integral of the dot product of the tangent vector t with the ith basis vector.

1. What is Stoke's sans dot-product?

Stoke's sans dot-product is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to measure the rate of change of a vector field over a surface without considering the dot product of the vectors.

2. How is Stoke's sans dot-product calculated?

Stoke's sans dot-product is calculated using the curl of a vector field and the unit normal vector of the surface. The formula is given by: ∫∫S (curl F) * dS = ∫C F * dr

3. What is the significance of Stoke's sans dot-product in physics?

In physics, Stoke's sans dot-product is used to calculate the circulation of a vector field around a closed loop in a given region. It is also used to determine the flow of a fluid over a surface and to study electromagnetic fields.

4. Can Stoke's sans dot-product be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Stoke's sans dot-product can be extended to higher dimensions. In three-dimensional space, it is known as Stokes' theorem and in n-dimensional space, it is known as the generalized Stoke's theorem.

5. What are the limitations of Stoke's sans dot-product?

Stoke's sans dot-product can only be applied to vector fields that are continuous and differentiable over the given surface. It also cannot be used to calculate the total flux of a vector field over a closed surface, for which the dot product is required.