Stokes theorem application

In summary, Stokes theorem is a fundamental mathematical theorem that relates surface and line integrals of vector fields. It plays a significant role in physics, particularly in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. One application of Stokes theorem is in calculating the circulation of a fluid around a closed loop. The conditions for its applicability include orientability of the surface, differentiability of the vector field, and smoothness of the boundary curve. Stokes theorem differs from Green's theorem in its application and generalizability.
bmxicle

Homework Statement

Let [tex] F(x, y, z) = \left ( e^{-y^2} + y^{1+x^2} +cos(z), -z, y \right) [/tex]
Let s Be the portion of the paraboloid [tex] y^2+z^2=4(x+1) [/tex] for [tex] 0 \leq x \leq 3 [/tex]
and the portion of the sphere [tex] x^2 + y^2 +z^2 = 4 [/tex] for [tex] x \leq 0 [/tex]

Find [tex] \iint\limits_s curl(\vec{F}) d \vec{s} [/tex]

Homework Equations

I plotted the surfaces in matlab, including what i think should be the boundary.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \vec{G} = curl(\vec{F}) = \left (2, -sin(z), h(x, y) \right) [/tex] where h(x, y) is some derivative i don't want to do.
[tex] div(G) = 0 [/tex]

So If we close the surface into a solid by adding the circle z^2 + y^2 = 16 so we have:

[tex] \iint\limits_s \vec{G} \cdot d\vec{s} + \iint\limits_{z^2 + y^2 = 16} \vec{G} \cdot d\vec{s} = \iiint\limits_E div(\vec{G}) = 0[/tex]
[tex] \iint\limits_{z^2 + y^2 = 16} \vec{G} \cdot d\vec{s} = \iint\limits_{z^2 + y^2 = 16} \vec{G} \cdot \vec{n}ds[/tex] but we know that n is just the unit vector (1, 0, 0) so we have:

[tex] \iint\limits_{z^2 + y^2 = 16} \vec{G} \cdot d\vec{s} = \iint\limits_{z^2 + y^2 = 16} 2 ds = 16\pi*2 = 32\pi [/tex]

Thus this gives the original integral as [tex]-32\pi[/tex]

I have the solution to the question and they don't match so I'm wondering where my reasoning is going wrong.

Attachments

• surface111.jpg
    surface111.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. I can see that you have correctly calculated the curl of the vector field and found that it is equal to (2, -sin(z), h(x, y)). However, I believe there may be an error in your approach to solving the integral.

Firstly, the integral you have written is incorrect. It should be \iint\limits_s \vec{G} \cdot d\vec{s} instead of \iint\limits_s \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{s}. This is because we are calculating the surface integral of the curl of the vector field, not the original vector field itself.

Secondly, I'm not sure why you have added the circle z^2 + y^2 = 16 to the surface. This circle does not form part of the given surfaces and therefore should not be included in the integral. The boundaries of the surface are already defined by the paraboloid and the sphere, so there is no need to add an additional boundary.

Finally, when calculating the surface integral, we need to consider the orientation of the surface. In this case, the surface is oriented in the positive direction, so the unit normal vector is pointing outwards. Therefore, the correct integral should be:

\iint\limits_s \vec{G} \cdot d\vec{s} = \iint\limits_s (2, -sin(z), h(x, y)) \cdot \vec{n} ds = \iint\limits_s 2ds = 2 \iint\limits_s ds

This integral can then be evaluated over the two given surfaces separately to find the final result. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the problem.

1. What is Stokes theorem and what does it state?

Stokes theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface. It states that the surface integral of the curl of a vector field over a surface is equal to the line integral of the vector field along the boundary of the surface.

2. What is the significance of Stokes theorem in physics?

Stokes theorem plays a crucial role in physics, particularly in the fields of fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It allows for the calculation of flux through a closed surface by evaluating the circulation of a vector field around the boundary of that surface. This is important in understanding the behavior of fluids and electromagnetic fields in real-world scenarios.

3. Can you give an example of an application of Stokes theorem?

One example of an application of Stokes theorem is in calculating the circulation of a fluid around a closed loop. By using Stokes theorem, the surface integral of the curl of the fluid's velocity field over a surface bounded by the loop can be converted into a line integral along the loop itself, making the calculation much simpler.

4. What are the conditions for Stokes theorem to be applicable?

There are two main conditions for Stokes theorem to be applicable: the surface must be orientable (meaning it has a consistent "inside" and "outside") and the vector field must be continuously differentiable over the surface and its boundary. Additionally, the boundary curve of the surface must be piecewise smooth, meaning it can be broken into a finite number of smooth curves.

5. How does Stokes theorem differ from Green's theorem?

While Stokes theorem and Green's theorem are both fundamental theorems in vector calculus, they differ in their application. Green's theorem relates a line integral around a closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve, while Stokes theorem relates a surface integral to a line integral around the boundary of the surface. Additionally, Stokes theorem is a generalization of Green's theorem, as it can be applied to a wider range of surfaces and vector fields.