1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes theorem application

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex] F(x, y, z) = \left ( e^{-y^2} + y^{1+x^2} +cos(z), -z, y \right) [/tex]
    Let s Be the portion of the paraboloid [tex] y^2+z^2=4(x+1) [/tex] for [tex] 0 \leq x \leq 3 [/tex]
    and the portion of the sphere [tex] x^2 + y^2 +z^2 = 4 [/tex] for [tex] x \leq 0 [/tex]

Find [tex] \iint\limits_s curl(\vec{F}) d \vec{s} [/tex]
    2. Relevant equations
    I plotted the surfaces in matlab, including what i think should be the boundary.

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] \vec{G} = curl(\vec{F}) = \left (2, -sin(z), h(x, y) \right) [/tex] where h(x, y) is some derivative i don't want to do.
    [tex] div(G) = 0 [/tex]

So If we close the surface into a solid by adding the circle z^2 + y^2 = 16 so we have:

[tex] \iint\limits_s \vec{G} \cdot d\vec{s} + \iint\limits_{z^2 + y^2 = 16} \vec{G} \cdot d\vec{s} = \iiint\limits_E div(\vec{G}) = 0[/tex]
    [tex] \iint\limits_{z^2 + y^2 = 16} \vec{G} \cdot d\vec{s} = \iint\limits_{z^2 + y^2 = 16} \vec{G} \cdot \vec{n}ds[/tex] but we know that n is just the unit vector (1, 0, 0) so we have:

[tex] \iint\limits_{z^2 + y^2 = 16} \vec{G} \cdot d\vec{s} = \iint\limits_{z^2 + y^2 = 16} 2 ds = 16\pi*2 = 32\pi [/tex]

Thus this gives the original integral as [tex]-32\pi[/tex]

I have the solution to the question and they don't match so I'm wondering where my reasoning is going wrong.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?