Where did I go wrong with my application of Stoke's Theorem?

In summary: When I tried to solve for the length of each side, I got the wrong answer. I solved for the height instead, and then used the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the other two sides.
Joosh
Hello again, everyone. Have a multivariate calculus question this time around. If anyone can point me in the right direction and help me see where WebAssign finds me wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Homework Statement

uENviZ0.png

Homework Equations

∫∫ScurlF ⋅ dS = ∫CF ⋅ dr

The Attempt at a Solution

h04n0dd.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your picture is very difficult to read, but I solved it, and I think I can get you to the correct answer. This triangle has vertices at the 3 points, but what is the length of each side? (Hint: Each side does not have length 3). Also, this triangle lies in a plane. What is the unit vector ## \hat{n} ## normal to that plane? Be sure and properly normalize it. Now ## \nabla \times F \cdot \hat{n} ## is constant in the plane of the triangle, because the plane of the triangle has a simple equation (which you should be able to write out very quickly) and shows up in this ## \nabla \times F \cdot \hat{n} ## expression . (Please write out this equation for the plane of the triangle, so that it can be verified that you got it correct. It helps to see the calculations, and your picture is hard to read.) Finally, what is the height (altitude) of the equilateral triangle?, which you need to compute the area of the triangle, etc. Try again; I think you will be able to correct a mistake or two that you made.

Last edited:
Alternatively, this problem can be worked by performing the surface integral over the 3 perpendicular faces (in the xy plane, the xz plane, and yz plane) instead of integrating over the single plane of the triangle (containing the 3 points). I computed the calculation this way as well and got the same answer. (For this case, the three surface integrals are essentially equivalent, and it just takes a little effort to set up the limits on a single relatively simple 2-D integral.) For the surface integral side of Stokes theorem, so long as F(x,y,z) is a well-behaved function, I believe the surface used in the surface integral can be any well-defined surface whose perimeter involves the line integral. Perhaps one of the other readers can add to this, but I believe I have this concept correct.

I appreciate the pointers, Charles! However, I eventually figured what I did wrong. I simply made a mistake while plugging in my numbers.

Likes Charles Link

What is Stokes' Theorem and what is its application?

Stokes' Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface. It is a powerful tool in vector calculus and has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

What are the conditions for applying Stokes' Theorem?

In order to apply Stokes' Theorem, the surface must be a smooth, orientable, and bounded surface that is described by a closed and piecewise-smooth boundary curve. The vector field must also be continuous and differentiable on the surface.

What are some real-world applications of Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem has many applications in physics, such as in fluid mechanics to calculate fluid flow rates and in electromagnetism to calculate the circulation of magnetic fields. It is also used in engineering for calculating the work done by a force on a rotating object and in computer graphics for calculating the flow of light through a surface.

How is Stokes' Theorem related to Green's Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is a generalization of Green's Theorem, which relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed curve to the double integral of the same vector field over the region enclosed by the curve. Stokes' Theorem extends this concept to three-dimensional vector fields and surfaces.

Are there any limitations to the application of Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem can only be applied to closed surfaces, which means that it cannot be used for surfaces with holes or boundaries that are not closed. Additionally, the vector field must be continuous and differentiable on the surface for the theorem to hold.