Stoke's Theorem Validation with v = xy x + 2yz y + 3xz z, JDGriffiths Prob 1.33

• Thread starter Living_Dog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, JDGriffiths, 3rd ed, Prob. 1.33 involves checking Stoke's theorem for the given vector field v = xy x + 2yz y + 3xz z using the surface bounded by x = 0, 0 <= y <= 2, and 0 <= z = -y + 2. The area integral result is -4 and the line integral result is 8/3, which should be equal according to Stoke's theorem. However, upon checking the integral over the surface, it is found that the limits of the integral for dz were incorrect, resulting in the incorrect area integral. After reviewing area integrals and correcting the limits, the correct result of 8
Living_Dog
JDGriffiths, 3rd ed, Prob. 1.33:

Given v = xy x + 2yz y + 3xz z, check that Stoke's theorem is valid using the surface bounded by:
x = 0, 0 <= y <= 2, and 0 <= z = -y + 2. (See attached image.)

DJGriffiths Prob 1.33.bmp

Area Integral Result:
[tex] \int \nabla \times \mathbf{v} \cdot d\mathbf{a} = \int (-2y) (\frac{1}{2} dy dz) = -4 [/tex]

Line Integral Result:
[tex] \int \mathbf{v} \cdot d\mathbf{l} } = \int (xy dx + 2yz dy + 3 xz dz) = \frac{8}{3} [/tex]

Stoke's theorem says they should be equal. What am I doing worng?

Attachments

• DJGriffiths Prob 1.33.bmp
    99.7 KB · Views: 490
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
check your integral over the surface, note that
[tex] d\vec{a} = dy \, dz \hat{x} \Rightarrow \vec{\nabla} \wedge \vec{v}\cdot d\vec{a} = 2 \,y\,dy\,dz [/tex]
and watch the limits of the integral for dz. you should obtain the same results as your line integral. hope this helps. sincerely, x

Last edited:
Living_Dog said:
JDGriffiths, 3rd ed, Prob. 1.33:

Given v = xy x + 2yz y + 3xz z, check that Stoke's theorem is valid using the surface bounded by:
x = 0, 0 <= y <= 2, and 0 <= z = -y + 2. (See attached image.)

DJGriffiths Prob 1.33.bmp

Area Integral Result:
[tex] \int \nabla \times \mathbf{v} \cdot d\mathbf{a} = \int (-2y) (\frac{1}{2} dy dz) = -4 [/tex]
Why "(1/2)dydz"? That area is in the yz-plane so the differential of area is just dydz.

Line Integral Result:
[tex] \int \mathbf{v} \cdot d\mathbf{l} } = \int (xy dx + 2yz dy + 3 xz dz) = \frac{8}{3} [/tex]
Be careful of the direction in which you are integrating. I presume you see that it is only the line z= 2- y that gives a non-zero integral.

Last edited by a moderator:
xman said:
[tex] d\vec{a} = dy \, dz \hat{x} \Rightarrow \vec{\nabla} \wedge \vec{v}\cdot d\vec{a} = 2 \,y\,dy\,dz [/tex]
and watch the limits of the integral for dz. you should obtain the same results as your line integral. hope this helps. sincerely, x

I checked and get the same result. So here is what I do in detail:

[tex] \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v} = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}
\vec{x} & \vec{y} & \vec{z} \\
\partial_{x} & \partial_{y} & \partial_{z} \\
xy & 2yz & 3xz \\
\end{array} \right| = (-2y) \hat{x} + ... [/tex]

I still get a "-2y" for the curl since only the negative x component of the curl is non-zero and only that component is needed for the dot product with da.

I think I see my mistake now that you both have mentioned it - my area integral is messed up. I have to review area integrals and their limits.

Thanks for the help!
-LD

EDIT: I got it! I wasn't setting my limits correctly at all. I read Schaum's Outline Series on Advanced Calculus (Chapter 9, pg. 180) and solved it in seconds.

[tex] \int_{y=0}^{y=2} \int_{z=0}^{z=-y+2} 2y dydz = \frac{8}{3} [/tex] :!)

thx again!
-LD

Last edited:
xman said:

Oh, I am getting a negative sign when I do the curl. How are you getting a plus sign??

[tex] (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v})_{x} = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}
xy & 2yz & 3xz \\
\end{array} \right| = 0 - 2y = -2y
[/tex]

Last edited:
Living_Dog said:
Oh, I am getting a negative sign when I do the curl. How are you getting a plus sign??

xy & 2yz & 3xz \\
[/tex]

The minus sign dissappears from the dot product with the [tex] d\vec{a} = -yz \hat{x} [/tex] which corresponds to the direction we are transversing the loop for the line integral.

Living_Dog said:

xy & 2yz & 3xz \\
[/tex]

The minus sign dissappears from the dot product with the [tex] d\vec{a} = -dydz \hat{x} [/tex] which corresponds to the direction we are transversing the loop for the line integral.

1. What is Stoke's Theorem and how is it used in science?

Stoke's Theorem is a mathematical formula used in vector calculus to relate a line integral around a closed curve to a surface integral over the region bounded by that curve. In science, it is used to calculate the flow of a vector field through a surface or to evaluate the circulation of a vector field around a closed curve. It is also used to solve various problems in electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and other areas of physics.

2. What is the significance of v = xyx + 2yz y + 3xz z in JDGriffiths Prob 1.33?

In JDGriffiths Prob 1.33, v = xyx + 2yz y + 3xz z represents a vector field with three components in terms of the variables x, y, and z. This vector field is used to solve a problem in which Stoke's Theorem is applied to calculate the circulation of the field around a closed curve.

3. How is Stoke's Theorem validated in JDGriffiths Prob 1.33?

In JDGriffiths Prob 1.33, Stoke's Theorem is validated by showing that the line integral around the closed curve is equal to the surface integral over the region bounded by the curve. This is done by evaluating both integrals using the given vector field and the boundaries of the curve and region.

4. What is the importance of validating Stoke's Theorem in science?

Validating Stoke's Theorem is important in science because it confirms the relationship between line integrals and surface integrals, which is used to solve various problems in physics and engineering. It also helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of calculations involving vector fields and their behavior around closed curves.

5. Are there any limitations to Stoke's Theorem in JDGriffiths Prob 1.33?

While Stoke's Theorem is a powerful tool in vector calculus, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to vector fields that are continuous and differentiable over the region of interest. Additionally, the curve and surface involved must be smooth and well-behaved. In JDGriffiths Prob 1.33, the vector field and boundaries of the curve and region must meet these requirements for Stoke's Theorem to be valid.