1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoke's Theorem check

1. Mar 5, 2006 #1
    JDGriffiths, 3rd ed, Prob. 1.33:

Given v = xy x + 2yz y + 3xz z, check that Stoke's theorem is valid using the surface bounded by:
    x = 0, 0 <= y <= 2, and 0 <= z = -y + 2. (See attached image.)

[​IMG]

Area Integral Result:
    [tex] \int \nabla \times \mathbf{v} \cdot d\mathbf{a} = \int (-2y) (\frac{1}{2} dy dz) = -4 [/tex]

Line Integral Result:
    [tex] \int \mathbf{v} \cdot d\mathbf{l} } = \int (xy dx + 2yz dy + 3 xz dz) = \frac{8}{3} [/tex]

Stoke's theorem says they should be equal. What am I doing worng?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2006 #2
    check your integral over the surface, note that
    [tex] d\vec{a} = dy \, dz \hat{x} \Rightarrow \vec{\nabla} \wedge \vec{v}\cdot d\vec{a} = 2 \,y\,dy\,dz [/tex]
    and watch the limits of the integral for dz. you should obtain the same results as your line integral. hope this helps. sincerely, x

4. Mar 5, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why "(1/2)dydz"? That area is in the yz-plane so the differential of area is just dydz.

Be careful of the direction in which you are integrating. I presume you see that it is only the line z= 2- y that gives a non-zero integral.

5. Mar 5, 2006 #4
    I checked and get the same result. So here is what I do in detail:

[tex] \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v} = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}
    \vec{x} & \vec{y} & \vec{z} \\
    \partial_{x} & \partial_{y} & \partial_{z} \\
    xy & 2yz & 3xz \\
    \end{array} \right| = (-2y) \hat{x} + ... [/tex]

I still get a "-2y" for the curl since only the negative x component of the curl is non-zero and only that component is needed for the dot product with da.

I think I see my mistake now that you both have mentioned it - my area integral is messed up. I have to review area integrals and their limits.

Thanks for the help!
    -LD

EDIT: I got it! I wasn't setting my limits correctly at all. I read Schaum's Outline Series on Advanced Calculus (Chapter 9, pg. 180) and solved it in seconds.

[tex] \int_{y=0}^{y=2} \int_{z=0}^{z=-y+2} 2y dydz = \frac{8}{3} [/tex] :!!)

thx again!
    -LD

6. Mar 5, 2006 #5
    Oh, I am getting a negative sign when I do the curl. How are you getting a plus sign??

[tex] (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v})_{x} = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}
    \vec{x} & \vec{y} & \vec{z} \\
    \partial_{x} & \partial_{y} & \partial_{z} \\
    xy & 2yz & 3xz \\
    \end{array} \right| = 0 - 2y = -2y
    [/tex]

7. Mar 9, 2006 #6
    The minus sign dissappears from the dot product with the [tex] d\vec{a} = -yz \hat{x} [/tex] which corresponds to the direction we are transversing the loop for the line integral.

8. Mar 9, 2006 #7
    The minus sign dissappears from the dot product with the [tex] d\vec{a} = -dydz \hat{x} [/tex] which corresponds to the direction we are transversing the loop for the line integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?