1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes Theorem problem

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    F = xi + x3y2j + zk; C the boundary of the semi-ellispoid z = (4 - 4x2 - y2)1/2 in the plane z = 0

2. Relevant equations

(don't know how to write integrals on here, sorry)

double integral (curl F) . n ds

3. The attempt at a solution

curl F = 3y2x2k
    n = k

curl F . n = 3y2x2

So I have a surface integral, which I think I can change to dA since the differential of the surface area is just 1dA...

Now this is where I'm stuck. How do i do the double integral with an ellipse? I tried it in rectangular coordinates but got some function I don't know how to integrate. Help!!:confused:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2009 #2
    Can you do this by integrating F dot dr over the boundary curve instead?

r(theta)=cos(theta) I+2sin(theta) J+0 K

4. Apr 20, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What function do you get that you can't integrate? It looks like it's just a trig substitution to me.

5. Apr 20, 2009 #4
    what you can do is use Stoke's theorem to convert to the line integral of the vector filed and then if you use Green's theorem to convert that to a double integral, use a trig sub and then integrate. (integration takes a little bit of work) I think the answer is pi. Anybody agree?

6. Apr 20, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's pi. Both ways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook