Does Stoke's Theorem Apply to All Closed Surfaces?

• Thread starter Ed Quanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the integral over a closed surface of the curl of a vector field must equal zero. This can be proven using basic topology and the concept of homotopy. Additionally, Gauss' theorem states that the flux through a closed surface is equal to the integral of the divergence within the enclosed volume. Therefore, if the vector field is the curl of a vector, the volume integral will be zero.
Ed Quanta
If S is a closed surface, then the integral over S of (curlV) dot dn must equal zero.

How could I show this is true in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yikes the proof---

Can't we use a little basic topology to proove this? We discussed homotopic curves or surfaces and I believe when for a force field F. [tex]\del X F = 0[/tex] then there exists one. I might be able to look this up, in our class actually we were showed the techniques of evaluating surface integrals, but not the rigors of the proofs.

I think you need to show that the integral of the vector field over the surface is equivalent to the divergence of the vector field over the volume bounded by the surface. Then, clearly, if the vector field is the curl of a vector then the volume integral is zero.

Oh right if [tex]\int\int\int_V div F dV = 0[/tex]

As Tide said, use Gauss theorem: the flux thru a closed surface is the integral of elementary fluxes within the enclosed volume (i.e. divergence). Then show (simple algebra) that div curl V = 0.

1. What is Stoke's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface.

2. What is the significance of Stoke's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem is significant because it allows for the calculation of surface integrals, which are often difficult to solve, through the use of line integrals, which are typically easier to solve.

3. What are the conditions for Stoke's Theorem to be applicable?

Stoke's Theorem is applicable when the surface is bounded by a simple, closed, and piecewise-smooth curve and the vector field is continuously differentiable on the surface.

4. How is Stoke's Theorem related to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

Stoke's Theorem is a higher-dimensional version of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. While the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus relates the integral of a function over an interval to its derivative, Stoke's Theorem relates the surface integral of a vector field to its line integral.

5. How is Stoke's Theorem used in real-world applications?

Stoke's Theorem is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetics, and geophysics. It is used to calculate quantities such as fluid flow and electric and magnetic fields over surfaces, which have practical applications in fields such as aerospace and energy production.