1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoke's Theorem vector field

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume a vector field:[tex]\textbf{F} = \widehat{r} 2r sin\phi + \widehat{\phi} r^2 cos\phi[/tex]

a) Verify the Stokes's theorem over the ABCD contour shown in Fig. 1 .
    b) Can F be expressed as the gradient of a scalar? Explain

fig1.jpg

My problems results in not being able to verify Stoke's Theorem

2. Relevant equations
    Stoke's Theorem
    [tex]\oint_{C} \textbf{F}\cdot \overrightarrow{dl} = \int \int_{S} (\nabla\times\textbf{F})\cdot \overrightarrow{dS}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    We can see that the line integral and surface integrals can be dealt with in cylindrical coordinates.
    for line integrals:
    [tex]\int _{DA}+\int _{AB}+\int _{BC}+\int _{CD} =-\int_{r=2}^{1}2rsin(0)dr + \int_{\phi=0}^{\pi/3}cos(\phi)d\phi + \int_{r=1}^{2}2rsin(\pi/3)dr + \int_{\phi=\pi/3}^{0}4cos(\phi)d\phi[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{\sqrt3}{2} +\frac{\sqrt3}{2}(4-1) -4\frac{\sqrt3}{2}=0 [/tex]

I also obtain that [tex]\nabla\cdot \textbf{F}=\widehat{z}cos\phi(3r-2)[/tex]
    And surface integral is evaluated as [tex]-\int_{r=1}^{2}\int _{\phi=0}^{\phi/3}cos\phi(3r-2)rdrd\phi=-(8-4)\frac{\sqrt3}{2}=-4\frac{\sqrt3}{2}[/tex]
    The negative is due to the fact that ds is in the -z direction.
    Am I doing something wrong while integrating?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In your line integrals for segments AB and CD, d[itex]\phi[/itex] represents a change in angle, which s not the same as a change in arc length, dl.

4. Oct 5, 2013 #3
    True, but isn't [tex]\overrightarrow{dl} = \widehat{\phi}r d\phi [/tex] for path AB and [tex]\overrightarrow{dl} = -\widehat{\phi} r d\phi[/tex] for path CD? The after dot product, I obtain the integrals previously?

5. Oct 5, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

SteamKings point is that, in the integral from C to D, [itex]ds= 2d\phi[/itex]. You need another factor of 2.

6. Oct 5, 2013 #5
    Ahh I see now I was missing r = 2 in the the CD line integral, now Stoke's theorem can be verified. Thank you very much guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted