1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoke's Theorem

1. Feb 3, 2004 #1
    Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Vector A=yi+zj+xk
    Surface S is defined by z=1-x^2-y^2 where z is greater or equal to 0.
    Find the value of the surface integral of (grad x A)*dA
    (The “x” is the cross product.)

I know this uses Stoke’s Theorem: line integral of the closed curve of A*dS = surface integral (grad x A)*n*dA. So, the line integral of vector A around the closed curve is equal to the curl of A over the surface defined by the curve.

I’m fairly sure I’ve set everything up correctly. I have to find (gradxA). Then I find the unit normal vector by taking the gradient of the surface and dividing it by its magnitude. Then I find dS by making it (dx*dy)/(the magnitude of n*k). Then I do the dot product of my (gradxA) vector and my unit normal vector. Multiply by the magnitude of n*k, then the double integral is set up. I think I have to switch to polar coordinates, at the end.

I figured out (grad x A) by using the determinant. It's -i+j-k.
    Now I need to find the normal of the given surface. For this, I take the gradient of the surface. I rearranged the surface so that
    x^2+y^2+z=1. The gradient is 2xi+2yj+k. I need the unit vector of the normal, so I divide by the magnitude. This is where I get messed up, and unsure if I'm doing this right. I get the square root of (4x^2+4y^2+1). There's no way this is right, because almost nothing will simplify...

I hope I'm not completely wrong. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

NO, the line integral of vector A around the closed curve is equal to the integral of curl of A over the surface defined by the curve.
    That's probably what you meant, but let's be precise.

I do not get -i+j-k for curl v, I get -i- j- k (and please don't write "grad x v". "grad" is specifically del dot something. You mean "del cross v" or simply "curl v".)

The simplest way to find n*dA is to think of z=1-x^2-y^2 as x^2+ y^2+z= 1 as a "level surface" for F(x,y,z)= x^2+ y^2+ z. The grad F= 2xi+ 2yj+ k is perpendicular to the surface and (2xi+ 2yj+ k)dydx is the "vector differential of surface area".
    The integral of curl v over the surface is the integral of (-i-j-k)*(2xi+2yj+ k)dydx= integral of (-2x-2y-1)dydx. You do not need to find the unit normal. Many text books use "unit normal vector" times dS but dS turns out to include the length of the vector itself- its much simpler just to use the gradient. z=1- x^2- y^2 will be "greater than or equal to 0" as long as x^2+ y^2 is less than or equal to 1: inside the unit circle. You can do the integration in polar coordinates: dA= rdrdθ and -2x-2y-1= -2rcosθ-2rsinθ-1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?