1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoke's Theorem.

1. Oct 24, 2006 #1
    Hi guys... I'm stuck in this question. Its not a homework nor coursework, just practice. The answer for both is the same, that is -1 ...I'm able to get (a) but (b) .... still wondering what went wrong. Please enlighten me. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That ds=dxdy/2 part.. it's not how it works. what if I wanted to integrate over a circle? would you take ds=pi (dx²+dy²)?
  4. Oct 25, 2006 #3
    Also, how can you say this:
    ds = 1/2dxdy

You are saying that ds is a vector. Yet, 1/2dxdy is not.
  5. Oct 25, 2006 #4
    sorry... that ds suppose to have z_hat with it
  6. Oct 25, 2006 #5
    i'm not sure about the ds part as usually there is this table i would refer to, and it says ds = dxdy z_hat but ... i've also tried doing using it, i wont get the same answer.

If need to integrate over a circle, transform the vector to cylindrical type and use cylindrical variables r phi z to get it?
  7. Oct 25, 2006 #6
    In tutorial classes, they gave a semicircle and that was quite easy to get it.... but this geometrical shape triangle.... is my first time trying it, and i got so say... its cracking my head (i know its simple stuff...but i really dont get where went wrong)
  8. Oct 25, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, at least one of the arrows in your picture is going the wrong way. I suspect that your contour is supposed to go FROM (1, 1) T0 (0, 0), not the otherway round as you have it.

[itex]d\vec{S}[/itex] is NOT "[itex]\frac{1}{2} dxdy \vec{z}[/itex]". The fact that you are integrating over a triangle has nothing to do with the differential of area (everything to do with limits of integration!). Since this is in the xy-plane, [itex]d\vec{S}= dxdy \vec{z}[/itex]. The integral is NOT for [itex]0\le x\le 1[/itex], [itex]0\le y\le 1[/itex]; that would be over the unit square. You want to integrate over the triangle with boundaries y= 0, x= 1, y= x.

For part (b) break the triangle into the three sides. Write parametric equations for each.
  9. Oct 25, 2006 #8
    yup...sorry... the contour suppose to go from (1,1) to (0,0) thanks for the mistake pointed out :)
  10. Oct 25, 2006 #9
    anyway...mind reedit the latex thing... cant seem to get them =_=
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?