1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes theorem

1. Feb 13, 2007 #1
    For the surface S (helicoid or spiral ramp) swept out by the line segment joining the point (2t, cost, sint) to (2t,0,0) where 0 is less than or equal to t less than or equal to pi.

(a) Find a parametrisation for this surface S and of the boundary A of this surface.

I can only guess that
    x=rcost
    y=rsint
    z=t
    0 less than or equal to t less than or equal to pi
    0 less than or equal to r less than or equal to 1
    Is this right or totally bogus?

(b) For the vector field F=(x,y,z) compute the flux of F through the surface S. Assume the normal to the surface has a non-negative k component at t=0.
    No idea because what is the surface S? It has no equation.

(c) Compute integral (F*dr) where A is the boundary curve of the surface S and F is the force field (x,y,z).
    I think I just use Stokes Theorem for (c), but I'm having trouble setting it up since again I have no equation for the surface S. I also don't know how the whole line segment joining works into it.

I can evaluate the integrals, I just have trouble setting them up. If anyone could help me with these three I would appreciate it. Just explain what's going on.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have just given a parametric form for the surface, x(r,t)=r*cos(t), y(r,t)=r*sin(t),
    z(r,t)=t. How can you say S has no equation?

4. Feb 13, 2007 #3
    Well is that right for a helicoid?
    And how does the line segment joining those two points play into the helicoid?

5. Feb 13, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The parameter r sweeps out the line segment. r=0 and you're on the z-axis, r=1 and you are on the helix. r=in between and you are in between.

6. Feb 13, 2007 #5
    So does it factor into the bounds of integration?

I guess I don't see what the 2t means for the x part also?

It just seems when I do the integrations out, it's going to be simply
    t between 0 and pi
    r between 0 and 1
    for both parts (b) and (c) if I use parametrisation.

Does the line segment joining the point (2t, cost, sint) and (2t,0,0) somehow give me the unit normal n which I have to find?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?