Stokes' Theorem: Evaluating a Surface Integral on a Hemisphere

In summary, the conversation involves evaluating a surface integral using the cross product and dot product. The region being integrated over is a hemisphere and grad(u) and grad(v) are used to calculate the curl. The conversation includes a discussion of mistakes and clarifications on the use of F and the application of Stokes' Theorem.
JaysFan31
Here's my problem:
Take u=(x^3)+(y^3)+(z^2) and v=x+y+z and evaluate the surface integral
double integral of grad(u) x grad(v) ndS where x is the cross product and between the cross product and the ndS there should be a dot product sign. The region S is the hemisphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1 with z greater than or equal to 0 and n has non-negative k component.

Here's my work:
grad(u)=(3x^2)i-(3y^2)j+(2z)k
grad(v)= i+j+k
grad(u) x grad (v)= (-3y^2-2z)i+(2z-3x^2)j+(3x^2-3y^2)k

curl F * k = (-6x+6y)
Thus I=double integral of curl F * ndS = double integral of curl F *k dA = double integral of (-6x+6y)dA.

I used polar coordinates:
-6 integral from 0 to 2pi integral from 0 to 1 (rcost-rsint) rdrdt. However, this integral equals zero. Is this right?

Is this flux zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
JaysFan31 said:
Here's my problem:
Take u=(x^3)+(y^3)+(z^2) and v=x+y+z and evaluate the surface integral
double integral of grad(u) x grad(v) ndS where x is the cross product and between the cross product and the ndS there should be a dot product sign.
Is this what you mean: [tex]\int\int\nabla u \times\nabla v \cdot \bold{n}dS [/tex]?

The region S is the hemisphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1 with z greater than or equal to 0 and n has non-negative k component.

Here's my work:
grad(u)=(3x^2)i-(3y^2)j+(2z)k
Where does the minus sign in front of the j component come from? [tex]\nabla u=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\bold{i}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\bold{j}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}\bold{k}[/tex]
grad(v)= i+j+k
grad(u) x grad (v)= (-3y^2-2z)i+(2z-3x^2)j+(3x^2-3y^2)k
These look correct with the amended form for grad(u)

curl F * k = (-6x+6y)
Thus I=double integral of curl F * ndS = double integral of curl F *k dA = double integral of (-6x+6y)dA.
What's F? You should define anything you introduce. I imagine you've used Stokes' Theorem here, but where?

[As an aside, it would be helpful if you could learn LaTex; it's very simple to learn! Click on one of the images in my text, and follow the link to the tutorial]

Last edited:
I think I would agree the total flux is zero, but I don't see how you are getting it. What does the stated problem have to do with Stokes Theorem? Where did the curl come from? What is F?

Yes, the integral that cristo wrote is what I'm looking for.

Can't I just let F=grad(u) x grad (v)= (-3y^2-2z)i+(2z-3x^2)j+(3x^2-3y^2)k?

I made a mistake. u should equal (x^3)-(y^3)+(z^2). That's why I have a negative j component.

If I let F equal the above, isn't this correct?

You are integrating F. Not curl(F). So you can't take it to a line integral.

See my post to your latest question. grad(u)xgrad(v) is the curl of something. What?

1. What is Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the vector field along the boundary of the surface.

2. How is Stokes' Theorem used to evaluate a surface integral on a hemisphere?

To evaluate a surface integral on a hemisphere using Stokes' Theorem, we first need to parameterize the surface of the hemisphere using a vector function. Then, we can calculate the curl of the vector function and use it to set up the integral along the boundary of the hemisphere's surface.

3. What is the difference between a surface integral and a line integral?

A surface integral is a double integral over a two-dimensional surface, while a line integral is a single integral over a one-dimensional curve. Surface integrals are used to calculate quantities like flux and surface area, while line integrals are used to calculate work or circulation.

4. Why is Stokes' Theorem important in physics and engineering?

Stokes' Theorem is important in physics and engineering because it provides a powerful tool for calculating the work done by a vector field or the flux of a vector field through a surface. It also allows us to easily convert between line integrals and surface integrals, making it useful in a variety of applications.

5. Are there any limitations or special cases of Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is only applicable to closed surfaces, meaning that the surface must have a well-defined boundary. It is also only valid for smooth surfaces and vector fields. In some cases, the use of Stokes' Theorem may result in an integral that is difficult or impossible to evaluate analytically, requiring the use of numerical methods.