1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes' Theorem

1. Mar 4, 2007 #1
    Here's my problem:
    Take u=(x^3)+(y^3)+(z^2) and v=x+y+z and evaluate the surface integral
    double integral of grad(u) x grad(v) ndS where x is the cross product and between the cross product and the ndS there should be a dot product sign. The region S is the hemisphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1 with z greater than or equal to 0 and n has non-negative k component.

Here's my work:
    grad(u)=(3x^2)i-(3y^2)j+(2z)k
    grad(v)= i+j+k
    grad(u) x grad (v)= (-3y^2-2z)i+(2z-3x^2)j+(3x^2-3y^2)k

curl F * k = (-6x+6y)
    Thus I=double integral of curl F * ndS = double integral of curl F *k dA = double integral of (-6x+6y)dA.

I used polar coordinates:
    -6 integral from 0 to 2pi integral from 0 to 1 (rcost-rsint) rdrdt. However, this integral equals zero. Is this right?

Is this flux zero?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is this what you mean: [tex]\int\int\nabla u \times\nabla v \cdot \bold{n}dS [/tex]?

Where does the minus sign in front of the j component come from? [tex]\nabla u=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\bold{i}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\bold{j}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}\bold{k}[/tex]
    These look correct with the amended form for grad(u)

What's F? You should define anything you introduce. I imagine you've used Stokes' Theorem here, but where?

[As an aside, it would be helpful if you could learn LaTex; it's very simple to learn! Click on one of the images in my text, and follow the link to the tutorial]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  4. Mar 4, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think I would agree the total flux is zero, but I don't see how you are getting it. What does the stated problem have to do with Stokes Theorem? Where did the curl come from? What is F?

5. Mar 4, 2007 #4
    Yes, the integral that cristo wrote is what I'm looking for.

Can't I just let F=grad(u) x grad (v)= (-3y^2-2z)i+(2z-3x^2)j+(3x^2-3y^2)k?

I made a mistake. u should equal (x^3)-(y^3)+(z^2). That's why I have a negative j component.

If I let F equal the above, isn't this correct?

6. Mar 4, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are integrating F. Not curl(F). So you can't take it to a line integral.

7. Mar 4, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See my post to your latest question. grad(u)xgrad(v) is the curl of something. What?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?